paleo pear tart

This beautiful and almost whimsical dish makes for the perfect brunch centerpiece, dessert for the family, or just a special breakfast treat for you to enjoy on a cold morning with a warm cup of coffee.

One pear contains approximately 100 calories and 5 grams of fiber. Pears are a good source of vitamin C, folate, copper, and potassium.

It will keep for a few days and I suggest re-heating before you enjoy again.

paleo pear tart

serves 8

3 medium sized green pears

1.5 cups walnuts

1 lemon juiced

2 T raw honey

1 t sea salt

2 t cinnamon

1 t coconut oil (can use unpasteurized butter)

1 t baking soda

Crust: (adapted from Mark’s Daily Apple)

Preheat oven to 375.

Set a tart or pie dish aside.

Blend the walnuts in a food processer until they have a fine texture. Add baking soda, salt and oil. Pulse until it has a dough-like texture.

Pat the dough into the dish until it covers the entire surface at an even thickness.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Take out and let cool while you prepare the filling.

Filling:

Reduce the oven temperature to 350

Remove pit and slice the pears about 1/8th of an inch thick.

Toss with honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon.

Arrange the pear slices in the crust however you like – the flower assembly takes not time and looks nice.

Bake for 15 minutes.

Let cool slightly before serving.

Time: 40 minutes

9 Responses to “paleo pear tart”

Lucas Nyreenposted February 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

I can tell you from personal experience this is super delicious.

Shannyposted February 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

OMG, you’ve got to be kidding, I am making that tonight!

Lia Moutselouposted February 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This looks amazing ! I think you got me hooked and I will cook this in the weekend. I love the fact you are not using any flour. How exciting !

jeremyrfranklinposted February 13, 2012 at 12:55 am

I tried this earlier today, and I loved it! However, my crust didn’t turn into the dough like your picture, and did not hold up well after the baking process. I’m wondering: I used 1 tsp of coconut oil; was it supposed to be 1 tbsp?

Thanks for posting; I’m going to keep playing with this one! :)

jeremyrfranklinposted February 13, 2012 at 1:25 am

Wait – I figured it out; I used baking POWDER instead of SODA :( I’ll know better for next time! LOL

ntepperposted February 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

This is so beautiful! Too gorgeous, I know I say this every time, but you take the BEST pictures!!

Shannyposted February 26, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I made this tonight and it was so amazing! My boyfriend and I had a hard time not eating the entire tart! The flavor combo btwn the salty walnutty crust and the sweet-tart of the pears is just fabulous!

Thanks for an awesome recipe!

Mrs mommyposted March 16, 2014 at 1:44 am

Great recipe, and will make it again. It was too salty for us, but it was ok with a treat, French vanilla Icecream… Mine did bubble too much, oven is waiting for cleaning. Maybe too much bak soda?

1. Pingback: I Had It, But I Lost It…So I Had To Find It Again! | The Alchemist's Kitchen