Chicken Teriyaki Bowl

Chicken Teriyaki Bowl | Fed+Fit

Now that we’ve prepped our way through a big bowl of basic cauliflower rice and another heaping 5 pounds of slow cooker shredded chicken, we’re left with the final step …

Make it a meal!

The first of the three recipes I’ll share in this series of “Quick and Healthy Weeknight Dinners” is one of my absolute favorites – Chicken Teriyaki Bowls!

Chinese food is always a hit in our house. Sometimes we get bored with our roasted chicken and veggies and want to shake things up with cuisine from another world.

Aside from assembly, the only work involved in this dish requires you to prep the teriyaki sauce. It’s truly a breeze to make. By the time you’ve reheated your cauliflower rice, steamed the broccoli, and topped with warmed chicken, your sauce will be done.

My teriyaki sauce only calls for 4 ingredients: coconut aminos (to replace soy sauce), potato starch (a grain-free thickener), honey, and garlic. It’s seriously delicious, you guys.

If you want to skip the homemade sauce, I wish I could give you a brand recommendation for a healthy off-the-shelf option! I’ve had a really hard time finding trustworthy brands that manufacture a teriyaki sauce that I’d eat (no msg or gmo). That being said, use whatever you’re most comfortable with.

For the “rice” base of these bowls, I usually opt for the cauliflower rice because it contains WAY less of a carbohydrate punch. If you’re feeding growing boys, grown men, have a need for more carbohydrates yourself, or just want a starchier comfort food, I recommend you use jasmine rice (or another polished white rice) as the base.

I encourage clients to avoid brown rice as the hull may cause digestion and nutrient absorption complications. Happy to chat more about this in depth if it interests you. Just let me know in the comments below!

Print Print

Chicken Teriyaki Bowl

Yield: 4 servings

Total Time: 12 minutes

1. In a small saucepan, whisk the coconut aminos, potato starch, honey, and garlic together. Let it come to a simmer over medium to low heat, then reduce for 10 minutes.
  2. To assemble the bowls, spoon a portion of the rice in the bottom of the bowl. Top with the broccoli and then shredded chicken. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of the reduced teriyaki sauce over the bowl. Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro.

11 Responses to “Chicken Teriyaki Bowl”

Kierstenposted September 3, 2014 at 8:44 pm

This is so perfect! I’ve got a bunch of cooked chicken and since I didn’t meal plan for this week since I was lazy, I’m looking for ways to use it and this sounds yummy! Thanks 🙂

• Cassy replied: — September 5th, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

Of course, my dear! I hope you love it!

Michelle Youngposted September 10, 2014 at 1:04 am

This was awesome! I love the sauce. My kids liked it too!

• Cassy replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

Awesome, Michelle! Thanks for the note!

Sarah Galbraithposted September 11, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hi – thanks for all the great recipes! I love how you weave things together in a weekly approach. Just signed up for your newsletter and am really excited! I have a question about the teriyaki sauce. I am not gluten-free, but would prefer to make my own sauce. So I’ll use soy sauce and most of the other ingredients you mention, but I’m wondering what I can use for a thickener that I’m more likely to have on hand, rather than going out specifically for the potato starch thickener. Thanks!!

• Cassy replied: — September 11th, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for the great question and comments! Other thickeners can include: arrowroot flour, tapioca flour, or even corn starch (as long as you can tolerate corn). I hope you love the dish 🙂

Sarah Galbraithposted September 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm

p.s. I love your take on brown rice. I read recently (wish I could remember where) that a lot of ancient food traditions, like Indian and Japanese, use white rice to jump-start digestion since the grain is often paired with things that are more challenging to digest, like vegetables or beans. I have always used white because it just feels better in my stomach. But so many nutritionists are against white rice. I’m so happy to hear someone else talking about white rice being the better option. (Though I also love the cauliflower rice and use that, too!)

Michelleposted November 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm

This has been on my radar for awhile and I finally made it last night. Very tasty and super easy to assemble since most of the components were already made!

• Cassy replied: — November 5th, 2014 @ 6:13 pm

Awesome! I’m glad you liked it, Michelle!

Lindaposted May 5, 2015 at 1:34 am

This looks great. What about using quinoa instead of cauliflower rice? Any thoughts on that?

• Kelly replied: — May 23rd, 2015 @ 2:25 am

Hi Linda! If you can tolerate quinoa, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a perfectly fine substitute. It will add a little nuttiness to the dish.