Cinnamon & Fennel Braised Pork
This cinnamon & fennel braised pork comes together in minutes in the slow cooker, and is full of warm, comforting fall flavors.
3 weeks since I last posted a recipe. 3 WEEKS?!
I should be embarrassed but truth be told, the new podcast + wedding planning + a top secret project, have me so completely smitten and almost just as completely distracted that these last three non-recipe weeks have flown by.
That being said, I have been thinking of you and hard at work preparing some tasty dishes to share over the next month. I asked on Facebook what kinds of recipes you’re really looking for and the most requested were the following:
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Chicken Breast Recipes
- Breakfast On-The-Go
I’ve got good news! After consulting with my team, we’ve come up with some pretty incredible recipes for all four of those categories.
First up is this KILLER Cinnamon & Fennel Braised Pork! This recipe is actually right out of the 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook by my girl Diane Sanfilippo. Now 2+ weeks into my own sugar detox, I really appreciated the flavor and ease of this dish. I served it on top of some butter garlic cauliflower mash and then later again on top of some raw broccoli slaw for a quick lunch. It comes together in almost no time at all and will make your house smell divine!
If you’d like to learn more about the 21-Day Sugar Detox, you can check it out HERE.
You can also grab a copy of the 21-Day Sugar Detox Cookbook HERE.
Cinnamon & Fennel Braised Pork15 minutes 2017-06-26T00:15:00+00:00 8+ hours 2017-06-26T00:00:00+00:00 8 adjust servings
- 2 green apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped (save fronds for garnish)
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free brown mustard
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or coconut oil
- 1 (3-pound) pork roast, such as a shoulder or butt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Place the apples, fennel, onion, and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, mix together the ground cinnamon, salt, pepper, cumin, mustard, and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to form a paste. Spread the bacon fat over the top of the pork, then spread the spice paste over the top and sides of the meat. Carefully place the pork on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, water, and cinnamon sticks to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily with a fork. Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds if desired.