Salted Chocolate Freezer Bark
This salted chocolate freezer bark is smooth, creamy, balanced with the perfect hint of salt, plus it is easy to put together and totally customizable to your tastes!
If you listened to Episode 18 of the Fed+Fit Podcast AND made it all the way to the end where we dive into the individual “fed” and “fit” segments, you heard about one of my favorite health lifestyle hacks: freezer treats.
Though I don’t tend to indulge in a Paleo-friendly, grain-free treat every day, I do want them on occasion …cuz DUH, I’m human. My personal cravings point me in the direction of anything that involves chocolate. A few of my other favorite freezer treats from this blog include: dark chocolate blueberry clusters, frozen chocolate orange bites, and chocolate chili pecan clusters. I’ve also been known to make a batch of my chocolate chip cookies, pumpkin muffins, and blueberry scones – eat 1-2 while they’re hot and then individually wrap the remaining servings in their own little baggie for the freezer. When I want another taste in the future, I simply let them defrost for a few minutes on the counter and then zap in either the oven or microwave.
This salted chocolate freezer bark is ANOTHER favorite of mine. I’ll play with the recipe, but this basic version is always a hit. It takes 10 minutes to whip up and can provide you with months of tasty sweet freezer treats.
Though the creamy-salty-sweet flavor (made possible by the almond butter, sea salt, and dark chocolate) of this salted chocolate freezer bark is my go-to, you can absolutely play around with other flavors. May I suggest a generous sprinkle of your favorite chopped nuts, dehydrated fruit, and even chopped bacon? You really can’t go wrong.
BONUS TIME. If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I just got a new rose gold, black leather, (men’s size) minimalistic watch from the fabulous timekeeping company, Daniel Wellington. I’m in LOVE with this new piece (the “Classic Sheffield“) and am thrilled to tell you all that they are offering 15%-off for my readers with the code “fedandfit.” WHOOP! Click HERE if you want to take advantage!
Salted Chocolate Freezer Bark10 minutes 2017-06-27T00:10:00+00:00 12-15 servings adjust servings
- 9 - 10 ounces dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (may sub sunbutter for a nut-free option)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- Using either a double-boiler or 3-5, 30-second spells in the microwave, slowly melt the chocolate. It's important that you stir constantly with a rubber spatula and remove from heat as soon as all of the solid pieces are gone.
- Pour the vanilla extract into the melted chocolate. Be sure to stir until it's completely incorporated.
- Pour the melted chocolate in the middle of a large square of unbleached parchment paper on a baking sheet. Using your spatula, carefully spread the chocolate out into a 1/4"-thick layer.
- If your almond butter isn't already runny or smooth, heat it up just a bit. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of almond butter over the chocolate. Using a dinner fork, make sweeps through the almond butter and chocolate to create the marbled look.
- Sprinkle with half the sea salt and then transfer the sheet to the freezer to set for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer when it's completely hardened. Using either a knife or your hands, break the bark into pieces. Sprinkle with the remaining sea salt and transfer to a freezer-safe jar for enjoyment months to come!