Lemon Pepper Vegetable Skewers
These lemon pepper vegetable skewers are IDEAL when you’re looking for a fresh, no-fuss meal. I like to serve them alongside grilled chicken thighs and a small baked sweet potato.
FOOD ON A STICK! I love food on a stick. I also really love it when I can whip up something that’s meant to be cooked on the grill …because then Austin takes over the cooking.
Feel free to mix up the vegetables listed here! Any vegetable in season is a great addition to these lemon pepper vegetable skewers. I recommend you cook and prepare what inspires you from your farmer’s market or local grocery store. Remember that buying in-season fruits and vegetables is a way to maximize nutritional value AND minimize cost, here’s a great guide to find what’s in season in your area1
Grilling the quartered lemon on the end of the skewer helps to release MORE of that lovely lemon juice so that it squeezes even easier over your hot veggies upon serving.
Note: feel free to add chunks of chicken or beef directly to the lemon pepper vegetable skewers! Just be sure to increase the cooking time by a few minutes to account for the added protein.
Lemon Pepper Vegetable Skewers10 minutes 2017-06-27T00:10:00+00:00 15 minutes 2017-06-27T00:15:00+00:00 8 servings adjust servings
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into 1 inch discs
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch discs
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 2 inch squares
- 8 ounces whole white button mushrooms
- 2 large lemons, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Layer two of each vegetable on 8 skewers, finishing each end with one piece of the quartered lemon.
- Dust each side with the pepper and grill over either a hot stove skillet or a hot grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until grill marks form.
- Let cool slightly then serve by squeezing the grilled lemon over the vegetables.
Tips: Cut your vegetables a day in advance to save time! For leftovers, remove from the skewer and store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Program Compliance: Fed+Fit, 21-Day Sugar Detox, Whole30, Autoimmune (omit red bell and ground black pepper), GAPS, and FODMAP (omit mushrooms)