Mini Blueberry Sausage Scones
These Mini Blueberry Sausage Scones combine sweet maple and blueberry with savory sausage for a breakfast (or lunch) that is perfectly portable and kid-friendly!
As a little one I always loved having breakfast for dinner, and to have it at lunch- even better! It's the stuff kid dreams are made of! Super kid-friendly, lunchbox sized, and really balanced, your family will be asking for these weekly.
These little breakfast inspired clouds of delight are lightly sweetened and super moist, and they totally remind me of the microwave pancake-wrapped-sausage-on-a-stick concoctions of my youth. You know the ones I’m talking about. Wrapped in cellophane, frozen to mouth in 1 1/2 minutes on high—those ones! These are just like them, but made grain and dairy-free and cut into fun biscuit sized shapes for the kiddos.
To create these blueberry sausage scones, we start with a sweet scone base made from almond flour and classic paleo-friendly baking ingredients. With natural sweeteners like maple syrup, the mix ends up with the perfect touch of sweet flavor to complement the salty sausage. Prior to baking, whip up a small batch of your favorite crumbled breakfast sausage and let it cool before tossing it in the batter along with plump, fresh blueberries.
Making these were so much fun, and I even got the little ones involved by using a cookie cutter to cut the circles to make it a family affair! I like to keep these stored in the refrigerator to maintain some firmness, and because there is meat involved. They pack well, and again, are so much fun for little hands!
Not only are these little blueberry sausage scones perfect for bento box lunches (paired with a hard boiled egg and your favorite shredded cheese) but they are the perfect Saturday brunch baked good. I'm picturing myself curled up with these and my favorite cup of coffee, and I can't think of what would be a better start to the day!
Blueberry Breakfast Sausage Muffin10 30 0:00
The perfect bite-sized, sweet and salty meal for little hands!
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, sea salt, and baking soda. Stir until all clumps are broken up and it's well incorporated.
- Add the fresh blueberries and stir to incorporate with a wooden spoon.
- In a temperate bowl, add the coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and egg. Whisk together until it's well incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until the batter is even.
- Fold in the breakfast sausage crumbles (make sure all excess grease is drained before adding).
- In a 9 - 10 inch round pan (or castiron skillet) that is either well coated with butter (may substitute with evoo) or lined with a parchment paper circle, add the batter. Using either a greased spoon or your hand, press the wet batter into the pan so that it is spread to the edges.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, slice into scones or cut out circles with cookie cutters and serve!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator if not eating right away.