Posted by Amber Linkhttp://fedandfit.com/chile-relleno-breakfast-casserole/
© 2017 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Chile Relleno Frittata
pound of potatoes
pound of calabacita squash
teaspoon olive oil
pounds of chorizo
large roasted hatch chiles*
teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the potatoes and calabacita squash into thin triangles. Combine with olive oil on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the chorizo, removed from its casing, to create sausage crumbles.
- Rinse the hatch chile peppers under running water to remove the outside paper-like skin and the seeds. Dry the chiles with paper towels then slice into one inch strips.
- After the vegetables are done roasting, layer them in the bottom of a large 9x13 inch pan.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add half of the chorizo on top of the vegetables, and then add half of the hatch chile pepper strips on top of the chorizo.
- Next, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper and pour over the dish.
- Add remaining chorizo and chiles on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes or until the center is firm (give it a shake and if it jiggles, it needs more time).
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes then slice and serve.
If you can't find pre-roasted hatch chiles, follow these instructions to roast them:
- Set your oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the poblano peppers on the foil and place under broiler until blistered and slightly blackened. This will take approximately 10 minutes – turn them over every 3 minutes to be sure they are evenly charred.
- Once they peppers are evenly blistered and charred, remove from oven and let cool.
- Once the peppers are cool to the touch, remove their skin and seeds under running water or in a bowl of water.