Curried Butternut Squash Soup
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is healthy, creamy, satisfying, and a great spin on a new dinner classic. Made thoughtfully with simple, but tasty ingredients, your family will love this dish!
I'm so excited to bring you this curried butternut squash soup! Butternut squash is one of my favorite soup bases because it's so, so creamy when blended with the right ingredients. To this soup, we're also adding some healthy protein in the form of shredded chicken! If you're following along on the Cook Once, Eat All Week series, this soup comes together in a snap. If you're not following along, know that you can easily customize this soup! If shredded chicken isn't your jam, I recommend some link sausage, crumbled sausage, shrimp, or even roasted beef.
As with all soups, this meal will freeze really well! Just spoon it into your favorite freezer-safe container, label, and store away for no longer than 5 months. I like to defrost soups in a pot on the stove. Just pop the frozen soup in, cover, turn heat to low, and stir occasionally until it's ready to enjoy
I hope you love this dish as much as I do!
Cook Once, Eat All Week
If you're new here, THIS POST is a great introduction to our Cook Once, Eat All Week series!
Here are the other recipes in our COEAW: Week 2 meal prep series:
- Base Recipes of bulk-prepared shredded chicken, butternut squash, and roasted Brussels Sprouts: click HERE!
- Sonoma Chicken Stuffed Butternut Squash: click HERE
- Coming Soon: Hoisin Chicken Bowls
Remember that if you don't want to wait to get the recipes for the rest of this series here on the blog, you can also get them in an eBook FOR FREE by clicking HERE (subscribing to my newsletter). The eBook for each week also includes shopping lists, extra reheating tips, bonus recipes, and other meal ideas. Newsletter subscribers will get the full week of Cook Once, Eat All Week content the Friday BEFORE that content is slated to publish on the blog. It's a great way to get your ducks in a row early while also taking advantage of the other free goodies we send out to newsletter subscribers.
Curried Butternut Squash Soup15:00 01:15 15:00
For the Roasted Butternut Squash
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon each cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2.5 cups grilled or shredded chicken (about 1.5-2 pounds)
- Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Toss the butternut squash cubes with with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes until tender and slightly browned.
- Add squash and broth to large pot and blend with an immersion blender, or add the squash and broth to a blender, once cooled, and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pot over medium heat and stir in coconut milk, lime juice, seasonings, and chicken until fully combined.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, garnish with cilantro, and serve!
If Following Cook Once, Eat All Week:
Use the following pre-made ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, scooped out of skin (about 1 whole squash)
- Either in a blender or in a medium-sized pot with an immersion blender, blend squash, coconut milk, and chicken broth until smooth. If using a blender, transfer back to a medium-sized pot.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat and add all seasonings, lime juice, and chicken. Stir, and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and store leftovers in airtight containers in either the refrigerator or freezer.