Easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
This Easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup has big flavor and requires little effort. Make it your own with a variety of toppings and freshly pan-fried crispy tortilla strips!
Do you ever really feel ready for a baby? I mean, yes I'M READY. My 37-week pregnant heart is so, so ready …but my to-do list, I feel like it'll never be “ready.” There's always something new to do for my house, (what feels like) endless things to do for work, and no limit to the number of times I cherish holding my husband's hand over my rolling baby belly. I feel like this may be my first lesson in parenting. The distinct lines of “doneness” that I've enjoyed for years mayyyyy be a thing of my past. I have a feeling I'll be finding more joy in the messy process than in dotting my i's and crossing my t's. Changing hearts …it's a beautiful thing!
One thing that I CAN mark off as “done” is dinner. That little piece of clarity, knowing that we've been fed and we've been fed WELL, feels like a great achievement. The rest of my to-do's, the laundry, the office organizing, the business brainstorming, they can all wait.
This soup is a true dinner winner! During these warmer months, I OFTEN find myself craving tortilla soup. In fact, I've been known to order bowl after bowl of tortilla soup at our favorite San Antonio Tex Mex restaurants during the cooler months. While the salty chicken broth (with a touch of delicious lime) is incredibly soothing/satisfying, tortilla soup is all about the toppings. Years ago, before I realized that I could truly personalize Paleo (the primary exercise of the Fed & Fit Project Online), I would only make/order tortilla soup sans tortillas, sour cream, and cheese. Since then, I've found that I tolerate the occasional high-quality dairy well! So, I happily add on a dollop of sour cream and the occasional sprinkle of cheese. I'm also a big fan of THESE grain-free tortillas. To make crunchy tortilla strips, I just cut them into pieces and fried in a pan with a bit of butter until they're crispy.
A sprinkle of fresh cilantro, fresh onion, some jalapeno, a few slices of avocado, and a fresh wedge of lime finish the bowls!
Whether you make this soup in the slow cooker, the instant pot, or the stovetop, I hope you love it and find a way to make the toppings YOUR own.
Easy Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup00:10 04:00 4:10
For the Soup
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the Garnish
- 2 Siete Foods tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Sour cream, if desired
- Shredded cheese, if desired
- Cook the soup base:
- For the Slow Cooker: combine all soup ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- For the Instant Pot: combine all soup ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- For the Stovetop: combine all soup ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cook over medium/high heat for 45 minutes, or until the chicken easily shreds with a fork.
- After the soup is finished cooking, remove the chicken and transfer it to a large bowl. Shred the chicken with two forks or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Place the shredded chicken back into the soup. Taste soup for seasoning and add additional salt, if desired.
- Cut the tortillas into thin strips and heat the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Once butter is bubbling, add the tortilla strips. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with tortilla strips and other desired garnishes.