Posted by http://fedandfit.com/egg-free-breakfast-skillet/
© 2018 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Egg-Free Breakfast Skillet
This egg-free breakfast skillet combines hash browns, breakfast sausage, and kale, then is topped with a creamy cilantro avocado sauce for a tasty, meal prep-friendly breakfast that the family will love!
For the Breakfast Skillet
- 2 pounds bulk pork breakfast sausage (without casing)
- 1 head of kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons ghee, butter, or other fat of choice
- 2 pounds potatoes, shredded (or 2 pounds frozen hash browns)
For the Sauce
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Additional cilantro, for garnish
- In a cast iron over medium heat, brown the breakfast sausage for 7-10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped and de-stemmed kale to the pan along, and saute for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and the lemon juice, then remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the 3 tablespoons ghee to the pan. Once melted, add the potatoes. Season potatoes with 1/2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, then flip, and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and cooked through. Return the kale and breakfast sausage to the pan.
- Blend together all sauce ingredients, adding in water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved. Drizzle the sauce on top of the breakfast skillet and serve.