Posted by http://fedandfit.com/instant-pot-pot-roast/
© 2017 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Instant Pot Pot Roast
About 2 hours
- 4 to 5 pound beef roast
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons ghee, avocado oil, or your favorite cooking fat
- 1/2 cup water
- Press the "saute" button on your Instant Pot. I like to give it about 2 minutes to heat up.
- While the Instant Pot gets up to temperature, season one side of the pot roast liberally with half of the sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Add your cooking fat to the pot and then (careful not to touch the side of the insert with your hands) place the seasoned side of the roast face-down in the bottom of the pot. Depending on the size of your roast, you may have to press it down in some areas so that as much of the roast is touching the bottom as possible. Set a timer for 10 minutes and allow the roast to sear on one side.
- Season the upward facing side with the rest of the sea salt, garlic powder, and pepper. After 10 minutes, flip the roast over.
- Press the "keep warm/cancel" button, add 1/2 cup water to the pot, and secure the lid of the Instant Pot in place with the pressure release nob flipped to "sealing" (the one pointing away from the control panel).
- Press the "meat/stew" button and then press the "+" until the timer reads 85 minutes.
- Make sure that your Instant Pot seals once it comes up to pressure (the small metal valve next to the pressure nob will pop up) and seals (there will be no steam coming out). Once it reaches pressure and seals, the timer will start a countdown. At this point, you're off duty!
- Allow the Instant Pot to "naturally" release the steam (meaning, you do not manually move the pressure release nob). This should take approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour and the lid will automatically unlock once the pressure is released.
- Your roast is done! Scoop it out of the pot, leaving its liquids behind, and transfer it to a serving pot of your choice. Enjoy!