Posted by http://fedandfit.com/mexican-cottage-pie/
© 2018 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Mexican Cottage Pie
For the Sweet Potato Topping
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3-5 medium sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
For the Filling
- 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chorizo
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano (may substitute regular oregano if needed)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 F and let the potatoes cool, then peel away the skin and mash with butter and sea salt. Mix until smooth.
- Brown the onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until wilted and slightly browned, then move to a bowl.
- In the same pot over medium heat, add the chorizo and ground beef break up as it cooks. Keep cooking until the meat is browned, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the veggies back to the meat mixture along with seasoning and tomato paste. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the meat mixture to a 9x13, or similar sized pan, and spread the sweet potato mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, garnish with cilantro, and serve!