Posted by http://fedandfit.com/paleo-frito-pie/
© 2018 Fed & Fit. All rights reserved.
Paleo Frito Pie
For the Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, ghee, or your favorite cooking fat
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 24 ounces tomato puree (or tomato sauce)
- 1.5 cups or 12 ounces water (tip from my mom: just fill the tomato puree jar halfway up)
For the Paleo Sour Cream
- 2 (13 1/2-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 small lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the Frito Pie
For the Chili:
- In a large pot over medium/high heat, add the ground beef, break it up with a spoon, and stir until it's completely browned. This may take about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ground meat to a separate bowl, leaving the drippings behind in the pan. Add the butter to the browned beef pan and then the chopped onion. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add the garlic. Keep cooking until the onions start to develop a slightly brown color.
- Return the ground meat to the pan, stir to combine, and then add the seasonings. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the spices darken in color slightly. Add the tomato puree and water, stir to combine, and let simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until some of the water has evaporated off.
For the Paleo Sour Cream:
- Open the cans of chilled coconut milk. Scoop off the cream that has risen to the top and place it in a food processor or blender. Save the coconut water for shakes or other uses.
- Add the lemon juice and salt to the food processor or blender and blend for about 1 minute, until it has a smooth, even consistency.
- Use right away or transfer to a jar and store in the refrigerator.
For the Frito Pie:
- Layer tortilla chips in the bottom of a small bowl, top with desired amount of chili, sour cream, onion, jalapeno, and green onions and serve.