Rosemary Sea Salt Hasselback Potatoes
These Rosemary Sea Salt Hasselback Potatoes are a perfect combination of crispy and baked potato. I walk you through my trick to cutting the potatoes so that you have even thickness all the way through. These will make the perfect side dish to any meal, fancy or every-day!
You know what you deserve? You deserve to be LAUDED for your kitchen skills. You really do. You work hard, you put a lot of thought into your meal planning, and you chop, stir, and saute with love. Preparing a delicious, nutritious meal takes effort and I want you to be PRAISED for it!
Now, our families may not always remember to praise our efforts when we whip up something in our usual rotation (totally normal). But when we put a new spin on an old food, it tends to turn heads and (you guessed it) provoke praise. THAT is my goal for you with this recipe. Even though these potatoes are made with perfectly simple, seasonal ingredients, they're special and praise-provoking.
Here's the magic of the hasselback potato…
Hasselback potatoes are potatoes that are cut about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through and THEN buttered + seasoned. They're baked and, because of the lovely slices, result in part crispy potato goodness and part baked potato. They're magical and your dinner guests will applaud your skills.
That being said, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to pull these off (though, you don't have to tell them that). My trick to an easy hasselback potato is simple:
- Place the potato between two cutting boards of equal thickness.
- Run your knife down through the potato until it hits the bordering cutting boards and then stops.
- Proceed with thin slices (about 1/4 of an inch apart from each other).
- Drizzle with melted butter, sprinkle with sea salt + herbs, and bake until they're golden and perfect.
To serve, I recommend doing so warm! A little spoonful of crème fraîche or sour cream with a few chives sprinkled in would be a lovely addition.
I hope you enjoy these potatoes and I hope that, EVEN though they're pretty simple, they help you get the kitchen recognition you so rightly deserve.
Rosemary Sea Salt Hassleback Potatoes00:20 01:00 1:20
- 3 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place the potato between two cutting boards of equal thickness that come about 1/3 of the way up the potato. Make a series of 1/8-inch slices along each potato, slicing 2/3 of the way through. Run your knife down through the potato until it hits the bordering cutting boards and then stops, making 1/4-inch slices.
- Place the potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and brush liberally with olive oil. Sprinkle on sea salt and chopped rosemary.
- Bake for 1 hour, until potatoes can be easily poked through with a fork and edges are golden and crisp.
- Let cool slightly and serve!