Sausage & Roasted Tomato Pasta
This Sausage & Roasted Tomato Pasta is a great way to get a dinner on the table that has BIG flavor and that makes use of this season's harvest.
I almost didn't post this recipe because honestly, it feels a little like a non-recipe! Then I thought about how it's a great example of a DINNER TEMPLATE. That template is: cook a starch, roast some veggies, add protein, add some fun flavor, and dig in. This Sausage & Roasted Tomato Pasta came about because our garden tomatoes are in ABUNDANCE this year. Puzzling over how to make good use of them, I decided to roast a solid portion of our harvest. There are few things I love more than a roasted tomato (roasted strawberries are up there, too).
So, a veggie gets popped in the oven first so that it can get started on building big flavor and better (than raw) texture.
Next, we scout out the perfect protein. I like this pasta with a link sausage! I found some lovely lamb sausage in my freezer from Five Marys Farms. A quick defrost and sear in our cast iron skillet is all it needed.
Lastly, pasta. Choose whichever one you like best, but I used this brown rice (gluten-free) Caserecce pasta by Jovial Foods and it was OUTSTANDING.
Pasta is cooked to perfection (or slightly al dente, per my preference) then tossed simply with butter and lemon juice.
To plate, add your roasted tomatoes + their yummy pan juices to the pasta with the sausage. I wanted a little crumbly cheese on this, but I wanted something different than (the predictable) parmesan. So, I grabbed the Mexican-style cotija cheese! With a few pieces of fresh basil from our garden to finish, this was one outstanding dinner.
I hope you enjoy and find a way to make this template your own!
Sausage & Roasted Tomato Pasta0:00
- 1 pound tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 ounces gluten free pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound link sausage
- 2 tablespoons cotija cheese (optional)
- handfull fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Toss the tomatoes in olive oil and spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle evenly with sea salt and bake at 375 F for 35 to 40 minutes, or until they burst, but before they turn too brown.
- In a hot skillet, brown your sausage links and set aside.
- Cook your pasta according to package instructions. Once cooked and drained, toss with the butter and lemon juice.
- To plate, spread pasta out on plate and top with the tomatoes, sausage, cheese, and basil.