Southwestern Chicken Salad with Jicama Tortillas
This Southwestern Chicken Salad is the perfect spin on traditional chicken salad to spice up your work day lunch! Chicken is tossed with mayo, lime juice, cilantro, bell peppers, and Mexican spices, then stuffed into jicama tortilla shells for a grain-free, portable, and flavor-packed meal.
Welcome to our first installment of the Fed & Fit Lunch Series, friends! This whole month we'll be focusing on easy, no need to heat, portable lunches for both you and your kiddos – and we couldn't be happier to share. We all know back to school season starts off with hopeful creativity in the lunch department, but a few weeks in, and we’re back to the same ol’ PB&J because adulting can be a challenge, right?!
Our hope with this series is to help provide inspiration for your lunch time woes all year long! What you'll find over the next few weeks are lunches that will keep both you and your kids interested and satisfied, with some weeks linked together to make protein prep that can be multi-purposed for both adult and kiddo meals for the week. Sounds amazing, right?! Let's talk about this tasty Southwestern Chicken Salad, and how it's designed to make back to work and back to school EASY. Ok, well “easier”, because change is hard, and so are early alarm clocks!
This cold salad that can be prepped quickly, requires no reheating, and can be used all week! I love a traditional chicken salad for lunch (like this traditional version with fresh veggies or this pesto version) but the same version served over greens can get old quickly. This Southwestern Chicken Salad has your typical chicken-tossed-in-mayo base, but adds a lot more spice, fresh veggies in the form of onions and bell pepper, cilantro, beans, and corn. The amazing thing about this recipe is that you can omit any ingredients that don't suit your dietary needs, and it will still taste amazing. Pair this Southwestern Chicken Salad with a fun twist on tortillas, thinly sliced jicama (we found these pre-made tortillas at Whole Foods, but you can also make your own!), and you've got a wonderful, travel friendly meal. This one will be a great addition to your lunch time lineup!
Southwestern Chicken Salad15 minutes 30 minutes 45 minutes
An easy cold salad, perfect for week day lunches!
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayo
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
For the Add-Ins
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 package of prepared jicama tortillas or visit HERE for tips on how to make your own!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts, then place them on the greased baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper then bake for 30 minutes, then remove and let cool for at least 20 minutes.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisking until smooth.
- Chop the chicken into one-inch pieces, then add to a large bowl with the vegetables, corn, beans, and cilantro. Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetables and stir to combine.
- Load up your favorite tortilla vessel with chicken salad and ENJOY!