The Breakfast Salad
If you workout in the mornings, have children, or occasionally have an alarm malfunction, you may be familiar with the crazed breakfast scramble. You spend so much time worrying about everything else that before you know it, you're starved and reaching for anything that can be woofed down on your way to work or an appointment. Most mornings, I lose all track of time between driving, showering, getting ready for work, trying on 37 outfits (not really), and then eating something tasty and nutritious. I have devised a breakfast recipe that will allow you to move through your mornings with more ease.
Thanks to my friend, Ashley, for helping to inspire this dish … the breakfast salad!
The breakfast salad is a combination of breakfast foods and foods that occasionally sneak their way into breakfast dishes. Breakfast is THE MOST important meal of the day – bar none. Heard it a million times? How about a million and one, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you're watching your waist, eat up in the AM. Eating breakfast will kickstart your metabolism and help you burn more calories throughout your day. If you're lacking energy, don't think that a full tummy early on will make you sleepier. Eating a well balanced meal (protein, carbs, and fat) will help increase energy levels and overall mood. The best part? It's easy and delicious.
You'll get protein from the eggs & turkey sausage, fat from the avocado, and the carbs from the veggies complete the picture. The recipe amount listed below is just under 350 calories and will keep you full right through lunch. Fellas, I suggest you multiply the amounts below by at least 1.5. Get ready to put this one on repeat and feel free to ask me about substitutions for any of the ingredients.
The Breakfast Salad0:00
- 2 hard-boiled eggs – cut into 8 pieces each
- 2 turkey sausage links – chopped (can substitute 2 strips of bacon)
- 5 cherry tomatoes – quartered
- 1/4 of an avocado – diced
- 2 tablespoons of purple onion – finely diced
- 1 lemon – juiced
- 1 small handful of flat leaf parsley – chopped
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Place the eggs in a pot and fill with just enough water to cover the tops of the eggs.
- Place the pot on a burner and bring to a boil.
- When the water reaches a boil, turn off heat, place lid on pot, and keep it on the warm burner.
- Let the pot sit for 10-15 minutes then rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process.
- Peel and enjoy!
The Breakfast Salad
- Chop/dice all ingredients as listed.
- Combine ingredients in bowl, squeeze juice of one lemon on top, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste, stir, and enjoy!