Asian Citrus Brussels Sprouts Slaw
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8
For the Brussels Sprouts:
- 2 1/4 pounds brussels sprouts
- 3 tablespoons melted ghee, coconut oil, lard, or tallow
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon ghee, coconut oil, lard, or tallow
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Garnish:
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees with the rack in the middle. While the oven is heating up, trim away the stems of your sprouts.
- Remove any outer leaves that easily come off of the sprouts.
- Slice the sprouts thinly with a knife (or just pass ’em through the slicing blade of a food processor).
- In a large bowl, toss the shredded sprouts, melted ghee, and salt.
- Mix well with your hands, and then shred the shredded sprouts evenly on a foil-lined rimmed backing sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping and tossing every 5 minutes, or until the sprouts are browned and tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Melt the ghee over medium heat in a saucepan. Once it’s shimmering, add the ginger, shallot, and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Next, add the orange juice, coconut aminos, rice vinegar, and fish sauce to the saucepan. Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes or until the sauce slightly thickens. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the sesame oil.
- Once the sprouts are ready, take them out of the oven, and pour the sauce over the roasted sprouts.
- Garnish with the scallions, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
- Toss well, plate it up, and eat.