Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole is so comforting and delicious, and comes together in minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the cream of chicken soup*:
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons salted butter or ghee
- 3 tablespoons flour (we used this one for gluten-free)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk or full-fat coconut milk
For the casserole:
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 pound broccoli florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Add the butter to a saute pan over medium heat, once melted, add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the flour to the pot and whisk to combine, then slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking the mixture constantly to ensure there are no lumps. Once smooth, whisk in the milk, salt, pepper, and thyme and let cook for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Add the rice, chicken, and broccoli to a 4 quart baking dish, then pour the sauce over and toss to combine. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the rice is fully cooked through and the liquid is absorbed, then remove the foil and sprinkle with cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- If you’d like to save time, you can use 2 boxes of this cream of chicken soup plus one cup of chicken broth in place of making the homemade version.
- For dairy-free: use full-fat canned coconut milk in place of the milk.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free, broccoli, cheddar, easy, make ahead