Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: one 8-inch pizza 1x
- 100 grams lukewarm water (about a scant 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 97 grams blanched almond flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 55 grams potato starch or sweet potato starch (about 1/3 cup)
- 27 grams tapioca starch (about 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon double-acting, aluminum-free baking powder
- 62 grams oil of choice (about 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon), plus more for the pan
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 links (or 1.5 lbs) hot Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos (*my personal addition)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees to warm it up as a “hot box” for the pizza dough to proof. Oil an 8-inch round pan, an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, or, for a pretty presentation, a springform pan (this is what I used).
- In a small bowl, mix together the lukewarm water, yeast, sugar, and gelatin; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, mix the almond flour, starches, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder until blended.
- Add the oil, vinegar, and yeast mixture and mix until it comes together into a sticky dough that holds together.
- Place the dough in the prepared pan. Press the dough across the bottom of the pan and 1 inch up the sides. Cover the pan with a towel.
- Turn off the oven and place the covered pan in the warm oven to proof for a total of 30 minutes. Leave the oven door open a crack for the first 15 minutes, and then close the door for the last 15 minutes.
- While the dough is proofing, cook the sausage: Remove the casings. Break the sausage meat into small pieces and brown in a skillet over medium heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain.
- After 30 minutes of proofing, remove the pan from the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- When the oven is full preheated, remove the towel from the pan and place the pan in the oven. Prebake the crust for 5 minutes, and then remove from the oven. (But leave the oven on!)
- It’s time to layer on the toppings! Put the mozzarella cheese on the bottom, followed by a layer of sausage, then pour on the diced tomatoes, and top with the Parmesan cheese, if using.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.