This chicken enchilada casserole is cheesy, flavorful, comforting, and a breeze to make!
2, 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups shredded chicken (or about 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded)
10 corn tortillas, torn in half
3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
½ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 large avocado, diced, for garnish
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Whisk together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, salt, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and pepper, until smooth.
3. Spread ½ cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 3-quart, 9×13 inch pan, then layer 5 tortilla halves over the sauce, until it is fully covered. Layer 2 cups shredded chicken over the tortillas, then pour over 1 cup of enchilada sauce, and 1 ½ cups shredded cheese.
4. Repeat Step 2 to build the next layer, then bake the casserole at 350 F for 30 minutes, until the top is browned and bubbling, then remove from the oven.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice and sour cream, then drizzle it over the casserole. Garnish with the avocado and cilantro, then serve!
If you’d like to use storebought enchilada sauce, you’ll need 2 15 ounce cans.
Keywords: chicken, casserole, enchiladas, enchilada sauce, Mexican food