Enchilada Verde Turkey Meatballs
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 24 meatballs
- 3-4 large poblano peppers
- 1 batch Paleo Salsa Verde
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup diced finely chopped red onion, for garnish
- Turn the oven on to “broil.” Place the poblano peppers on a rimmed baking sheet and when the oven is at temperature, place them under the broiler. Check on the peppers every 3 minutes, flipping them over so that they blister evenly on all sides. This process may take anywhere between 6 to 12 minutes. The shiny outer skin will bubble, blister, and darken – that’s when you know it’s done. Remove them from the oven and either set aside to cool completely, or transfer to a container to refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble. Note: this step can be done a few days in advance!
- Once cooled, peel the skin off the peppers and discard. Remove the stems and seeds, then finely chop the flesh.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. For the meatballs, using your hands, mix the chopped peppers into the turkey with the rest of the seasonings. Roll the balls into approximately 2 tablespoon-sized portions. Place in a large baking dish (9″ x 13″ is what I used).
- Pour the salsa verde over the meatballs and transfer to the oven. Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes, or until the sides of the dish start to bubble and darken.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and onion, serve over rice, and enjoy!