French Onion Skillet Meatballs
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter, ghee, or avocado oil, divided
- 1.5 pounds white onions (about 3 large count), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2.5 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese, optional (omit for Whole 30)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet (cast-iron is a good choice) over medium heat. Add the onions, season with the sea salt, stir, and then cook over medium heat (stirring continuously) for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the onions have reduced significantly in size and have developed a deep caramel color.
- Mix the onions into the ground meat with the black pepper until evenly incorporated.
- Melt the additional 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet and preheat the oven to 400 F. Roll the meat into 2 tablespoon-sized meatballs and place them in the skillet. Repeat for the entire batch and then drizzle the tops of the meatballs with the balsamic vinegar.
- Bake at 400 F for 35 minutes, or until the top of the meatballs are starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven, add the optional cheese and return to the oven for an additional 3 to 5 minutes, or until the top of the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Enjoy warm over zucchini noodles, gluten-free rice noodles, mashed cauliflower, or mashed potatoes.