The Best Grilled Hamburgers Recipe
We’ve found that the key to perfect hamburgers is keeping things simple. We do just that with these burgers and they deliver every single time!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee, avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 6 hamburger buns, warmed
- Mayo, for serving (we used this chipotle lime mayo)
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, about 450-500 F.
- Add the ground beef to a large bowl along with the salt and pepper and work the mixture with your hands to combine.
- Form the mixture into 6 1/2 inch thick patties (a little over 5 ounces each), then brush them with the oil.
- Place the patties on the grill oil side-down, then close the grill lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the patties are browned on the bottom and have dark grill marks.
- For medium-rare burgers: cook for an additional 2 minutes (about 6 minutes total), until the patties are just browned or the temperature registers 140 F.
- For medium burgers: cook patties for an additional 3-4 minutes (about 7-8 minutes total), until the patties are browned or the temperature registers 145 F.
- For medium-well burgers: cook patties for an additional 4-5 minutes (about 8-9 minutes total), until the patties are browned and have deep grill marks, or the temperature registers 150 F.
- Remove the patties from the grill, then assemble.
- To assemble the burgers: smear the buns with mayonnaise or other condiments of choice, then place the hamburger patty on the bottom bun and top with the tomato, lettuce, and top bun, and serve.
Keywords: hamburger, grilled hamburgers, how to grill burgers