Hard Cider Brats
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces hard cider (1 1/2 cups)
- 8 links bratwurst
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill, for garnish
- Place the butter and onion in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium head, stir to combine. Add the hard cider and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, add the bratwurst to the pot. Be sure to get them nestled in the liquid. Sprinkle the red pepper and coriander seeds over top. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Oven method: preheat oven to 400 F. Pull the brats out of the water, place them on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the tops start to brown, but not burn.
- Grill method: preheat your grill to about 300 F. Pull the brats out of the water, place them on a rimmed baking sheet for transportation to the grill, drizzle with the olive oil, and grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the tops start to brown, but not burn.
- While the brats are finishing on the grill or in the oven, set the heat to medium/low for the cider and onion to reduce further.
- Once the brats are finished, return them to the pot, toss to recombine, and serve with the garnish of dill.