This chicken soup is packed with nutrient-dense, immune-boosting veggies and herbs to help you feel better faster!
1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes, until both are browned and the onion is translucent, then add the garlic and ginger and saute for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
3. Return the chicken to the pot along with the sweet potatoes, then stir in the chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and turmeric.
4. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken can be easily pulled apart with a fork.
5. Pull the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks or with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer. Add the chicken back to the pot then stir in the coconut milk and kale. Cook for 2-3 minutes until kale is fully wilted.
6. Add the lemon juice and then taste the soup for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Spoon into individual bowls and serve!
Instant Pot Method
To make this recipe in your Instant Pot, reduce the amount of broth by 1 cup and complete steps 1 and 2 in your Instant Pot on ‘saute’ mode. Then, add the chicken broth, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and turmeric. Seal the Instant Pot and set to cook on ‘manual’ for 15 minutes. Once the timer goes off, you can either release the pressure immediately or let it release manually, then remove the lid, set the pot to ‘saute’ mode and continue with steps 5 and 6.
To make this recipe in your Crockpot, complete steps 1 and 2 on the stove, then transfer everything to your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, then continue with steps 5 and 6.
Keywords: healing, homemade, turmeric, nourishing, ginger, lemon, kale, sweet potato