Herb Garden Turkey Breast
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1+ hour
- Total Time: 7 minute
- Yield: 5-8 servings
- 1, 4-5 pound bone-in turkey breast, thawed
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, bacon fat, or ghee
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (omit for low-FODMAP)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from one lemon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (from one lemon)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (omit for AI)
- Pat the turkey breast dry with paper towels.
- Whisk the melted cooking fat with the sage, rosemary, thyme, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sea salt to combine. Massage the herb rub over the entire turkey breast.
- Place the turkey breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan with the top-facing portion covered loosely with foil. Bake at 325 F for one hour.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip over so that it is now breast-side up. Turn oven up to 400 F and return the turkey, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place a meat thermometer in the thickest portion of the breast. When the breast reads 165 F, it’s finished. If it’s under-temperature, return to the oven until it reads high enough.
- When the turkey is at temperature, let it rest on the counter covered loosely with a foil sheet for 15 minutes before carving.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- Give the turkey breast about 2 days to thaw completely in the refrigerator.
- Baking the turkey breast-side down for the majority of its time in the oven helps keep the breast meat moist and tender.
- If your turkey starts to brown too quickly when it’s breast-side up, just cover with a loose sheet of foil.
- If the bottom of your roasting pan starts to smoke, just add a few tablespoons of cooking fat.