Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
This soup is packed with flavor and comes together quickly with the help of the Instant Pot!
- Prep Time: 00:10
- Cook Time: 00:25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 5
For the soup:
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, to taste
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (may use breasts if desired)
- 1, 16 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (omit for Paleo and Low Carb)
- 1 cup frozen corn (omit for Paleo and Low Carb)
- ½ cup sour cream, or an equal amount of cream from the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 corn tortillas, or two grain-free tortillas
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee
- Diced red onion, for garnish
- Additional sour cream, for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, and spices to the Instant Pot and stir to combine, then add the chicken thighs, corn, and black beans. Place the lid on the pot and seal, then hit the ‘soup’ button and set to cook for 25 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, cut the tortillas into thin strips and heat the avocado oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the tortilla strips. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp.
- Once the timer goes off, immediately release the pressure by turning the knob on top of the Instant Pot from ‘sealed’ to ‘venting.’ Once the pressure has fully released, remove the lid from the pot and remove the chicken and transfer to a bowl or your cutting board. Shred the chicken with two fork then place it back in the Instant Pot.
- Add the sour cream and lime juice to the soup and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt as needed.
- Serve with tortilla strips, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro and enjoy!
- To make in a slow cooker: follow the instructions as-is, and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, until the chicken easily pulls apart.
- To make on the stove top: cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and toss with the salt, then add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to a pot with matching lid over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pot and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned, then add the remaining ingredients (minus the lime juice and sour cream) to the pot, turn the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the sour cream and lime juice, taste for seasoning, garnish, and serve!
- Diced avocado, cilantro, cheese, and hot sauce would also make great additions for topping this soup!