Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast
This easy Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast combines all of the flavors of French onion soup with roast beef, and is plated up with mashed potatoes for the perfect comforting meal!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- 1, 5 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, skins removed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ghee, or other fat of choice
- Cut the chuck roast into 4-5 equal pieces and season liberally with salt and pepper. Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the ghee. Once ghee is melted, add the roast to the pot and sear 5-6 minutes per side, until browned, working in batches.
- Set the browned roast aside and add the broth to pot, scraping up the browned bits from the roast. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and set the beef on top.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring it is locked and the valve is sealed. Press the “manual” button and set to cook for 90 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally, for at least 15 minutes before releasing the pressure valve and removing the lid. Once the pressure has released, remove the beef from the pot and set it back to sauté mode again. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until broth has thickened and onions are fully cooked down.
- Shred the beef, serve over mashed potatoes, and top with the caramelized onions and gravy.
To make in a slow cooker:
- Place ghee in a large pot and melt over medium-high heat. Season the whole chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper and sear 5-7 minutes per side.
- Add the broth, onions, and garlic to a slow cooker and place the roast on top. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, until meat shreds apart easily with a fork.
- Transfer onions and broth back to a stove top pot to reduce the broth and caramelize the onions over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes, if desired.