This keto Philly cheesesteak skillet makes for the perfect weeknight meal! With sauteed onions and peppers, ground beef, and provolone cheese, this skillet has all the classic flavors of a Philly Cheesesteak but can be made in less than 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
This easy meal was inspired by the popularity of the Philly Cheesesteak loaded fries from the Cook Once book. We wanted to take those classic flavors and turn them into a weeknight meal that you could make even on the busiest of nights – and this keto Philly cheesesteak skillet delivers!
How to Make this Keto Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
You can make this Philly cheesesteak skillet with just a few simple steps:
- Saute the vegetables. First, you’ll thinly slice an onion, a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, and 8 ounces of cremini mushrooms. If you’re a mushroom hater, you can leave them out, but we found that they make this meal a little more complete and help up the veggie ratio. Once the veggies are sliced, you’ll add them to a hot pan with some olive oil, and saute for about 5-7 minutes, until they are all browned and the onions are slightly caramelized. Then, you’ll remove them from the pan.
- Cook the ground beef. Once the veggies are done, you’ll cook the ground beef in the same pan for about 5 minutes. Once it is browned, drain off the excess fat.
- Add everything back to the pan. Next, you’ll add the veggies back to the pan then stir in the beef broth, dijon mustard, and coconut aminos. This will help give the dish more flavor. Let everything cook for about 3-4 minutes, until it is bubbling, to let the flavors infuse.
- Layer on the cheese. The last step is also the most important – adding cheese! Layer 6 slices of cheese over top of the beef, then either put a lid on the pan or turn on your oven’s broiler and place the skillet under it for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and browned. Enjoy!
How to Serve the Philly Cheesesteak Skillet Meal
This Philly cheesesteak skillet makes a fantastic meal on its own, but would also be great served over cauliflower rice or alongside a green salad. If you’re not following a Keto or low-carb diet, you could also use this as the filling for a sandwich, serve it over white rice, or make Philly cheesesteak stuffed potatoes. We hope you love this easy meal!
Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms thinly sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, put the sliced onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms in the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned, then remove from pan.
- Put the minced garlic in the pan and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant, then add the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, breaking up the ground beef as it cooks, until the beef is browned. Then, drain off the excess fat and return the skillet to medium heat.
- Stir the Dijon mustard into the ground beef, then add the coconut aminos and broth. Add the peppers and onions back to the pan with the beef, then let cook for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling.
- Place the cheese on top of the beef and either cover with a lid or turn your oven to the broil setting and place the skillet under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from oven and enjoy!