July Letter From the Editor
It’s no secret that 2020 has been a year unlike any other, and as we step into July and the real heart of summer, I’ve found myself thinking about endurance. This means:
- Continuing to build endurance (through personal education and a commitment to leaning into the uncomfortable), for the life-marathon that is required of anti-racist work.
- Endurance in this 5th month of COVID – how to stay vigilant and also practical as the newness of the virus wears off.
- Endurance for our business, always a work in progress as we continue to do our best for our readers.
- Endurance for personal wellness and self-care, which calls for an even greater need for attention in the global viral and racial injustice awakening climate.
My Favorite Summer Recipes
The first official day of summer was 6/20, but it felt like it hit much earlier than that here in Texas! Below are some of my favorite recipes for the 4th, and easy everyday dishes that won’t heat up your kitchen.
- 4th of July – these sparkling watermelon jello shots are too fun to resist and these s’mores bars are a long-time summer favorite of mine. To round out your party menu between drinks and desserts, make a hot dog bar with a side of broccoli crunch salad and creamy green apple slaw!
- Grilling Recipes – we rely heavily on the grill in the summertime. It’s the best way to make a quick dinner with minimal cleanup + you don’t have to heat up the house! These foil packet dinners (BBQ salmon + Cajun Shrimp Boil) are SO fun and flavorful, these citrus chicken skewers are a long-time reader favorite, and I’ll eat these Greek beef kabobs any day of the week.
- Veggie Sides – After months of pantry staples and limited grocery trips, my body wants ALL the fresh fruit and veggies! This yogurt fruit salad is perfect to have on hand for breakfast and snacks, this healing salad is a staple in our meal plan, and this Mediterranean chickpea salad is a great way to take advantage of summer produce!
Current Favorite Things
- Nail Color – I’ve found myself craving more saturation, either dark or almost neon for poolside fun… or a beige-tinted neutral to vary from our fave white polish look. Here are my seasonal color picks from Dazzle Dry:
- For the Kids – The splash pad we have that Gray loves (best $30 I’ve ever spent).
- LMNT Electrolytes: is it’s hot, you’re likely needing to replenish more than you may think. Be warned, these are definitely saltier than your average electrolyte drink (think: Gatorade), but they do SUCH an incredible job of hydrating! Pro tip: add it to ice water + juice of 1 lemon for a salty cocktail
- Dermaplaning: I’ve been dermaplaning regularly (check out our full dermaplaning how-to for details) and it has changed my skin! Get started with these facial razors, or splurge on my favorite dermaplaning tool – the Dermaflash.
- Countersun Daily Sheer for Face – I’m loving this new daily SPF from Beautycounter! It’s the perfect lightweight formula for daily sun protection.