Posted by https://fedandfit.com/paleo-beef-burgundy-stew/
© 2012 Fed + Fit - Easy, Healthy Recipes, Meal Prep, Wellness, and Beauty. All rights reserved.
Paleo Beef Burgundy
- 4 lbs beef roast, cut into 1" cubes (may sub with pre-cubbed beef stew meat)
- 1 Tbl coconut oil, ghee, or grass-fed butter
- 2 cups button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 lb raw bacon, sliced into 1” strips
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour (may sub with potato starch or almond flour)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle of merlot
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6” kitchen twine
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- On high heat, pour the coconut oil, ghee, or butter in a large cast iron, Le Creuset, or stew pot.
- One handful at a time, cook the beef cubes just until they’re brown. They do not need to be completely cooked through – only browned on the outside. Spoon out cooked beef and rotate in raw until you’ve gone through all 2 lbs. Set the cooked beef aside in a large bowl for use later.
- Once all the beef is out of the pot, add your mushrooms. Stir until they’ve reduced in size and are browned. Remove the cooked mushrooms into the same bowl as the beef.
- Once your pot is empty again, add the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove the bacon into the same bowl as the beef and mushrooms. With a ladle, carefully remove about half of the bacon grease and discard.
- Add the chopped white onion to the pot and stir until they’re browned. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the arrowroot and about ½ cup of beef broth. With a whisk, stir the almond meal, broth, onions, and garlic together until the form a consistent paste. Slowly add the entire bottle of wine, whisking as you go. Re-add your beef, mushrooms, bacon and then stir to fully incorporate. Add the pearl onions then pour in the rest of your beef broth.
- Tie your bay leaf, parsley, and thyme together. (You just made a French bouquet garni! Fancy you!). Place the herb bundle in the stew. Cover the pot with aluminum foil, then the lid. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 4.5 hours.
- Serve with fresh parsley & a glass of your favorite merlot.
511 Calories; 20 g Fat; 71 g Protein; 0.2 g Sugar