Paleo Corned Beef
- Prep Time: 2 days
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 52 hours
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- 4–5 pound beef brisket, trimmed
For the brine:
- 32 ounces (or 4 cups) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Prepare the brisket simply by rinsing it with water. Place it in a large glass bowl or (if you prefer) a 2-gallon Ziploc bag.
- To prepare the brine, bring the water to a simmer. Pour in the salt and whisk until the salt is dissolved. Let the water cool until it’s safe to touch. Add the rest of the brine seasons, whisk to combine, and pour over the brisket. If you’re brining the brisket in a bowl, note that the brisket will likely float. You want to try to keep the meat submerged at all time – placing a small plate or weighted bowl on top can help you accomplish this! If you’re using a bag to brine, make sure that you remove all air before sealing. Let the brisket sit in the brine for 36 to 48 hours (two days).
- At the end of the brine, pull the brisket from the brine and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Place the brisket in the slow cooker, adding the mustard seeds, peppercorn, bay leaves, and broth. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- To carve, pull the brisket out of the slow cooker, blot dry and carve or shred as you like! Note that I usually separate and discard any extra fat at this point in time.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Instant Pot Version:
- Complete steps 1-3 as listed.
- Add brisket to Instant Pot and add mustard seeds, peppercorn, bay leaves, and broth.
- Place the lid on the pot, cover, and make sure the valve is set to sealed. Press the “manual” button and set to cook for 90 minutes.
- After 90 minutes is up, let the pressure release naturally (about 20 minutes) and remove the lid from the pot.
- Once the beef is done, follow the remaining instructions from Step 5 on.