Paleo Triple Chocolate Cake Balls
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 40 cake balls
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut oil, MUST BE ROOM TEMP (I used Wild Foods brand)
- 2 eggs, MUST BE ROOM TEMP
- 2 cups Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup cacao powder (I use Wild Foods brand)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Wild Foods Vanilla Powder (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounce Kite Hill Dairy-Free Cream Cheese (softened, room temp)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (slightly firm, room temp)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 11.5 ounce bag of Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Cacao nibs, cacao powder for dusting, mini chips, dried fruit, cocoa butter
- Prepare your “buttermilk” by mixing coconut milk and lemon juice in a separate bowl and let sit for 5 minutes until slightly curdled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13×9 pan, and lightly dust with flour.
- First make cake base by mixing all wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil, eggs) EXCEPT the boiling water in a large bowl. YOU MUST HAVE YOUR WET INGREDIENTS AS CLOSE TO ROOM TEMP AS POSSIBLE—the cake will still turn out ok, but cold eggs and milk will seize the coconut oil up and make it harder to mix!
- In a separate bowl, mix your dry ingredients, and then slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet while mixing continuously. The mix will be thick.
- Add the boiling water to the mix, stirring until incorporated. Batter will now be slightly runny—this is normal!
- Pour batter into greased pan, and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely.
- Mix all ingredients using a hand mixer on low-medium speed until creamy.
- Crumble cooled cake into a large bowl, careful to make sure there are no large chunks.
- Pour frosting into bowl with cake crumbles, and use your hands to thoroughly incorporate the frosting and the cake crumbles until you have a “dough”.
- Scoop golf balls sized amounts of dough, roll with your hands into a ball, and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Continue until you have made approximately 40 cake balls.
- Place balls in fridge to firm up, approximately 20 minutes.
- While balls are firming, make your chocolate coating using a double boiler method (see here for detailed instructions).
- Place chocolate chips and oil in a heat safe glass bowl and stir continuously until mixed fully.
- Remove from heat immediately and let cool.
- Once chocolate is cooled, hand dip the balls until completely coated, and then place back on parchment lined backing sheet.
- Top with desired toppings while still semi-wet. Continue this process until all balls are coated.
- Place back in fridge until firm.
- I like to keep my cake balls in the fridge and take them out right before serving!