Easy Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravyjump to recipe
This Salisbury Steak is an uber comforting dish that’s easy, delicious, and perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner in!
Salisbury steak is a classic dish and our rendition is a pretty perfect version of it! It’s reminiscent of the traditional dinner that you may have enjoyed as a kiddo but made with healthful ingredients for a meal that the whole family (picky eaters included!) is sure to enjoy!
Our Favorite Ground Beef
Okay, if we’re being honest, we’re all here for the Salisbury Steak, right?! Ground beef just so happens to be a HUGE part of this recipe, though, so we wanted to share our favorite ground beef and why we love it so much! When it comes to ground beef, we opt for grass-fed and finished when we can…here’s why: grass-fed and finished beef contains higher concentrations of all of the good stuff (we’re talking omega-3 fatty acids, polyunsaturated fats, conjugated linoleic acid, vitamins, and minerals) than conventional beef. Consuming grass-fed and finished beef also allows us to skip out on the trace hormones, antibiotics, and pesticides that are often found in conventional beef. Click HERE to find out more about WHY we choose grass-fed beef!
ButcherBox is our favorite source for high-quality grass-fed and finished beef. We love that ButcherBox delivers this quality meat straight to your doorstep so that you don’t have to worry about finding it at your local grocery store (we know that can be tough!).
Right now (through October 4th, 2020), when you sign up as a *new ButcherBox member*, you can get FREE ground beef for life! Sounds too good to be true, right? It isn’t! With each future box, you’ll receive 2 pounds of high-quality, grass-fed, grass-finished ground beef for the duration of your membership…SCORE!
Don’t fret, *existing ButcherBox members*, you can enjoy gound beef for life too – just add the Ground Beef For Life offer to your box (before October 4th) for a one-time payment of $49.99 and enjoy 2 pounds of ground beef in all future boxes for the lifetime of your membership!
ButcherBox is convenient, cost-effective, and we know we can trust their sourcing. We've used them for the majority of our monthly proteins for nearly 4 years here and remain huge fans. Get your free grass-fed ground beef HERE.
What is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury Steak is a classic American dish of jazzed up (think: more seasoning, flavor, and a handful of bread crumbs) hamburger steaks smothered in a rich, yummy brown gravy sauce. These tender beef patties are often served alongside mashed potatoes and a veggie of choice.
Homemade Salisbury Steak Ingredients
The ingredient list for Salisbury Steak may seem on the longer side (especially for easy weeknight meals), but many of the ingredients are pantry and spice rack staples, so it’s likely that you already have them on hand! Here’s what you’ll need to add to your grocery list:
For the Salisbury Steaks
- Ground Beef – ground beef is the star of our Salisbury Steak show, and you’ll need 1½ pounds of ground beef to bring this dish together.
- Bread Crumbs – you’ll also need a ½ cup of bread crumbs – choose whichever bread crumbs you like most, or make your own by grinding up a few slices of bread in the food processor!
- Egg – we’ll use 1 egg to bind our hamburger steaks together, as well as…
- Dijon Mustard – …2 tablespoons of dijon mustard,…
- Soy Sauce – …1 tablespoon of soy sauce or coconut aminos,…
- Dried Parsley – …1 teaspoon of dried parsley,…
- Garlic Powder – …1 teaspoon of garlic powder,…
- Onion Powder – …½ teaspoon of onion powder,…
- Salt – …¾ teaspoon of sea salt,…
- Black Pepper – …and ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper to season them!
- Butter or Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon of butter or extra-virgin olive oil will help us to get a good sear on our Salisbury Steaks and add just a touch of extra flavor!
For the Gravy
- Butter or Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – you’ll need 1 tablespoon of butter or extra-virgin olive oil to get your rich mushroom gravy going!
- Cremini Mushrooms – because this is a mushroom gravy, you’ll also need about 8 ounces of sliced cremini mushrooms.
- Yellow Onion – 1 small diced yellow onion adds a delicious depth of flavor to the gravy, as does…
- Garlic – …2 cloves of minced garlic!
- Flour – you’ll also need 1½ tablespoons of flour (THIS is the gluten-free flour that we use, but regular all-purpose flour will work great if you can tolerate gluten!).
- Beef Broth – 2 cups of beef broth gives our gravy substance while adding a delicious, rich flavor, and…
- Heavy Cream – …2 tablespoons of heavy cream lends a YUMMY creaminess to the gravy!
- Herbs and Seasonings – as far as seasonings go, you’ll need 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme (feel free to use a ½ teaspoon of dried thyme if you need to!), a ½ teaspoon of sea salt, and a ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
How To Make Salisbury Steak
This Salisbury Steak recipe is easier than you may think, and for that reason, it actually makes a great weeknight dinner! Here’s how you’ll throw this classic dish together:
- Make the Beef Patties – add the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, Dijon mustard, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and black pepper to a large bowl. Combine the meat mixture with your hands until fully incorporated, then shape into 5 patties.
- Cook the Patties – add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once sizzling, place the patties in the pan, and cook for 5-6 minutes, until browned, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until browned, and remove from the pan.
- Saute the Mushrooms, Onion, and Garlic – add another tablespoon of butter to the pan. Once melted, add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic, and cook for 7-8 minutes, until the mushrooms and onions are browned and starting to caramelize.
- Add the Flour + Beef Broth – sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions and whisk to combine. Then, pour in the beef broth, whisking constantly, until smooth. Let the gravy come to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the Heavy Cream + Seasonings – finally, stir the heavy cream, thyme, salt, and pepper into the gravy.
- Add the Patties Back to the Pan – transfer the Salisbury steak patties back to the pan, and cover with the sauce. Cook everything for about two more minutes, until the patties are warmed through.
- Serve + Enjoy – serve your Salisbury Steak over mashed potatoes or another side of choice!
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak
Salisbury Steak is most often served with mashed potatoes (these Instant Pot mashed potatoes are SO easy!), and that’s definitely our favorite way to enjoy it! We also love adding a veggie side (like these perfectly roasted veggies or a simple salad) to lighten things up. If you’re looking for a lower-carb side that still delivers the same level of comfort as mashed potatoes, these cauliflower “mashed potatoes,” are a great choice! Simple buttered egg noodles, white rice, or cauliflower rice would also be great side dishes to serve alongside this simple Salisbury Steak!
More Easy Dinner Recipes You’ll Love
- Ground Beef Enchilada Skillet
- Beef Taco Salad
- Pesto Meatballs
- Healthier Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Beef Taco Casserole
- Paleo Beef Chili Casserole
- Curried Beef & Butternut Stuffed Peppers
- Four-Layer Beef and Bacon Casserole
Easy Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
This easy Salisbury Steak is a super-comforting meal perfect for chilly nights!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 5 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
For the Salisbury Steaks:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter or extra-virgin olive oil
For the Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients for the Salisbury steaks, other than the butter or olive oil, to a large bowl. Combine the mixture with your hands until fully incorporated, then shape into 5 patties.
- Add the butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Once sizzling, place the patties in the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until browned, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until browned, and remove from the pan.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan. Once melted, add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until the mushrooms and onions, are browned and starting to caramelize.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions and whisk to combine. Then, pour in the beef broth, whisking constantly, until smooth. Let the gravy come to a bubble, then reduce the heat to low.
- Stir the heavy cream, thyme, salt, and pepper into the gravy, then transfer the patties back to the pan and cover with the sauce. Cook for about two minutes to heat them back up, then serve over mashed potatoes or another side of choice.
- To make this gluten-free: use gluten-free breadcrumbs and measure-for-measure gluten-free flour.
- To make this grain-free: use almond flour in place of the breadcrumbs and arrowroot or tapioca starch in place of the flour. In step 4, pour the beef broth over the mushrooms and onions, then let the gravy come to a bubble. Whisk the starch with 2 tablespoons of water until completely dissolved, then whisk it into the gravy. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes, until thickened, then proceed to step 5.
- To make this dish dairy-free: omit the heavy cream or substitute 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk in its place.
- To make this dish Paleo: follow both the grain-free and dairy-free substitutions.
Keywords: salisbury steak, ground beef