Slow Cooker Thai Beef Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 to 8 hours
- Total Time: -26065547.95 minute
- Yield: 6 to 8
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 (13 1/2-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup peeled and julienned jicima
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer each batch of browned meat directly to the slow cooker, then continue browning. Wipe out the skillet between batches if a lot of liquid has accumulated at the bottom to ensure even browning.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir continuously to release the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, and salt, then pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. Add the broccoli, carrots, and jicima during the last 30 minutes if cooking on high, or the last hour if cooking on low. Serve garnished with cilantro.