Spiced Ham & Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 heathy servings
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup spicy mustard (okay to sub regular mustard)
- 2 pounds red skin potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 cups (64 ounces) chicken broth, more if needed
- 2 pounds thick-cut ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent or just starting to brown. Add the garlic and celery and saute until fragrant, about 2 more minutes. Stir in the mustard and toss so that everything is well coated.
- Add the chopped potatoes to the pot and cover in the chicken broth. Cover and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Add the ham and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and taste to determine if it needs any additional seasoning.
- Garnish with the chives and enjoy!