Garlic Apricot Wild Rice – you heard me right. Sounds crazy? Well it was crazy delicious and incredibly easy.
The changing weather brings with it one of my favorite seasons of the year – running season! With running season comes a great excuse to start eating delicious wholesome grains. The rice I used for this dish is a gluten free blend of wild and whole grain brown rice. Apricots are in season (and on sale) so I couldn’t pass them up and decided they would be a nice sweet flavor addition to the grains. Sweet and savory are a classic paring, so I added copious amounts of garlic. I used dried garlic for ease but yes, fresh would be much better.
To finish the dish off, I added a solid handful of chopped flat leaf parsley. The parsley added some great color helped breakup the flavors.
This side dish is the first of 3 recipes I will post that composed a meal I made earlier this week. I will reveal the theme of the meal in my next posting but wanted to share this incredible rice dish as soon as possible.
Garlic Apricot Wild Rice
- 1 cup dried wild and whole grain brown rice
- 4 apricots
- 1 tablespoon dried or minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water, 1 cup of rice, and a pinch of salt to a boil on the stove in a medium sized saucepan.
- When it comes to a boil, stir the mixture once and turn the heat to low.
- Let simmer for approximately 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the apricots (skin included) into about ¼ inch cubes.
- When the rice is finished cooking, add the apricots, garlic, and parsley.
- Stir, serve, and enjoy.