kale and pomegranate salad

This salad is fat free and FULL of super nutrients. The seemingly complex combination of the kale’s robust leaves, the parsley’s flavor, the cabbage’s texture, the sea salt lime dressing, and the pomegranate seeds’ bursts of juice make this dish craveable for kale lovers and those who fear the super green.

This dish came to be because I was determined to find a way to get my family to eat kale …and even like it. I unleashed this salad on them during a large family gathering. It fooled everyone. When they’d finished cleaning the bowl, I excitedly announced that the dish they were all raving about was the healthiest thing on the table.

Kale is an extremely hardy green and holds up really well to being dressed and stored for days. I like to make it in bulk and eat off of it all week.

Don’t be intimidated by the pomegranate seeds! I recommend crunching them all the way through. The added fiber and nutrients won’t hurt you.

Occasionally, you can find pomegranate seeds in bulk (therefore helping you avoid the pomegranate splatter). Costco is your best bet.

Enjoy this beautiful, delicious, incredibly healthy salad!

kale and pomegranate salad

serves 9

1 head of curly kale

½ head of purple cabbage

1 bunch of flat leaf parsley (about 2 cups)

2 pomegranates

5 limes

1 T sea salt

Remove the stems before finely chopping the kale and cabbage, then set aside.

Roughly run knife through the parsley and toss with the kale and cabbage.

In a bowl, juice the limes and add the sea salt to dissolve.

Deseed the two pomegranates. The best way to deseed pomegranates is to cut the fruit in half then carefully break it apart with your hands and lightly brush the seeds away from the membrane. [Make sure to either wear an apron or something red! The juice stains.]

Massage the kale, cabbage, and parsley with the sea salt lime dressing. You can perform this step a couple hours before serving. The acidic dressing will help breakdown some of the rough texture of the kale.

Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the dressed salad and serve!

Time: 20 minutes

90 Responses to “kale and pomegranate salad”

Chickachefposted January 4, 2012 at 11:00 am

Just as delicious as it is to look at! Perfect for that Holiday meal.

amazingflexposted January 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Healthy delicious…!!!!!

Anyaposted January 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Looks good! I’ll have to try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Mikalee Byermanposted January 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Absolutely beautiful salad — but I can only imagine how long it would take to get THAT MANY pomegranate seeds!

(If not for a trip to Costco, that is…)
    ;)

midnitechefposted January 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I love your blog name! Congrats on FP!

Cassieposted January 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I’ll have to try this on my family. YUM!

Lakia Gordonposted January 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Looks yummy!!

Apples and Arterieposted January 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm

This looks fabulous. Your photos are perfect!

valentinedeeposted January 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Have to say it does look yummy. Just the colors alone make it appetizing.

Val

Carlie Chewposted January 4, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yumm, looks delicious!

Katherineposted January 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm

As a lactose intolerant person, I have found kale and spinach to be the best option for calcium. Sure I can have some yogurts and cheeses, but there are just so many more options with dark greens! And pomegranates are so rich with antioxidants.

I look forward to trying this… As soon as pomegranates find their way up to the Adirondacks!

heilamonsterposted January 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Beautiful and colorful pictures! looks so refreshing and appetizing!

pubspeopleplacesposted January 4, 2012 at 3:03 pm

You knocked this out of the food park–beautiful colors, photography and I’m hungry to boot! Congrats!

JOlissimposted January 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm

looks fabulous!!

Wesleyposted January 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Looks like a fantastic recipe. Love kale and pomegranates. Will have to try it out.

troismommyposted January 4, 2012 at 3:48 pm

The photos on your blog are so enticing! I’ll be checking out more of your recipes! Thanks!

violetsandcardamomposted January 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I like that combination of kale and pomegranate! Looks delicious!

Yatinposted January 4, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Health with taste, and looks inviting too!

A Crafty Travelerposted January 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

the colours are so vivid, it almost looks too pretty to eat! Talk about eating the rainbow!

sweetopiagirlposted January 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I love your pictures they are very appealing and the foods look so yum yummy! :) The information on your blog is very interesting and I am going to read more.

Constance V. Waldenposted January 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Wow, this looks great and good for you, too. Thanks so much for sharing this. Connie

cookingintuitiveposted January 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Looks beautiful!

Raeposted January 4, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I really love pomegranates and I just found out that my mom has a pomegranate tree in her backyard. She’s been holding out on me.

yumgurlposted January 4, 2012 at 5:10 pm

yum

yvonnedreptateposted January 4, 2012 at 5:12 pm

This seems like the perfect Christmas salad. It looks like a tree that is decorated with little red ornaments. I love it!!

neverending1posted January 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I eat three or four pomegranates a week. I’m surprised no one complained about the seeds.

Hickoryposted January 4, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Looks great. If you add some chilis, it would be a bit sort of like Thai salads.

Aliceposted January 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm

This salad looks beautiful! Congrats on freshly pressed! I’ll definitely have to try this soon.

GroundCherryposted January 4, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Beautiful salad– I’ve combined apples and kale plenty of times, but never thought of pomegranite.

One comment: you always want to consume some fat with dark green leafy vegetables. Some almonds, pistachios, a main dish with fat, a drizzle of olive oil, some feta cheese, etc. Many nutrients (vitamin K, lutein, etc) in dark green leafies are fat soluble, so they run right through you without a little fat to help your body absorb them.

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

Great tip, GroundCherry! Thank you. Fat is an incredibly important part of a balanced diet. It’s always a good idea to make sure that there is a healthy fat representation on your plate.

VivianaAyreposted January 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I won’t lie, no matter how much I try to like it, try it in new and fascinating ways, I cannot get myself to like kale. But I’m thinking…… spinach……. Thank you for the inspiration! And congrats on getting pressed!!!!

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Thank you, Viviana! In addition to spinach, collard greens are another great powerful green I recommend you give a shot. They have a slightly more palatable texture than kale.

Susan Perchalukposted January 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for sharing, I’m going to try it this week. It looks really good!!

mullenskitchenposted January 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

lovely fresh looking salad what more could you ask for

The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafeposted January 4, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Looks amazing! Beautiful Photography!!

albeindcposted January 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm

awesome. love the photographs as well.

Maryposted January 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I just started experimenting with kale, your recipes look delicious! Thanks for the healthy ideas!

janebanposted January 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I will definitely try this one!

Vivian Rainesposted January 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm

We made something like this — yours looks delicious too! Maybe this makes seeding the pomegranate easier? We carefully sliced into, then gently tore the pomegranate and tossed the pieces in a bowl of water. Then we picked and poked at the pieces, dislodging the seeds. Happily, the seeds fall and the light, white inner rind stuff floats. And yes! It stains the most tremendous dark pink! Imagine! Persephone ate only 6 of these marvelous seeds?

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

Great tip! Thank you. I will definitely give that a try.

ucanpreschoolposted January 4, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Great idea to use the lime juice to break down the Kale. Wouldn’t a little olive oil work here too? Love the colors!

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

Absolutely! Especially if you’re not going to eat anything else with the meal. You need some healthy fat on your plate.

kristinsweetsposted January 4, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Looks delicious! I’m in. Great blog too ;)

cadryskitchenposted January 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m impressed that you got your whole family to eat kale! That’s not always an easy task. The salad looks so vibrant and delicious!

shelleydlmposted January 5, 2012 at 12:03 am

Im going to have to make this sometime this month! sounds amazing!

stylingfutureposted January 5, 2012 at 12:14 am

This is gorgeous and healthy TOO!! LOVE IT <3

ntepperposted January 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

Your photographs are so fantastic! I don’t know how you do it! I have the hardest time photographing food and making it look like something someone (other than me) would want to eat. Also I love pomegranates–I’m trying this salad later this week! Great job!

pattyabrposted January 5, 2012 at 12:30 am

pretty colorful and Christmasy colorful at that!

Lisaposted January 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

I’m currently doing an anti-inflammatory diet and kale and pomegranates are perfect! So glad you got freshly pressed so I could find this. (Your photos are gorgeous too.)

inherchucksposted January 5, 2012 at 2:43 am

Looks amazing! And I was lucky enough to just receive a fresh bunch of red russian kale in my weekly produce box (http://inherchucks.com/2012/01/05/whats-in-the-box-8/). Guess I have no choice but indulge :)

Emmyposted January 5, 2012 at 3:30 am

My kiddos also love the kale “chips” on epicurious if you’re looking for ways to sneak it in. I look forward to seeking out some healthy weeknight recipes on your site!

lauraimaginaposted January 5, 2012 at 3:45 am

what a beautiful pictures full of colours! congratulations it´s looks delicious!

shahposted January 5, 2012 at 4:26 am

veru gooooodd……………..

whenquietposted January 5, 2012 at 5:02 am

Definitely!!! Fabulous photos!!! The pomegranate stain is also a great alternative to chemical free lipstick.

ediblesubstanceposted January 5, 2012 at 6:24 am

stunning! My mum makes a similar salad with salad leaves mango and pomegranate! Looks great. :)

sarahsjoysposted January 5, 2012 at 8:15 am

Beautiful pictures! I have a pomegranate de-seeding tutorial on my blog at: http://sarahsjoys.wordpress.com/2011/11/12/if-its-good-enough-for-alton-brown-removing-pomegranate-arils-tutorial/ I also have a recipe for kale chips in the side dishes section. It’s titled “Feeding a Family of Comedians” because their reaction to hearing they would be eating kale chips was less than enthusiastic. But they liked them! Congratulations on getting your family to love it! We will have to give this salad a try!

Joshposted January 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My blog site is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would definitely benefit from some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks a lot!

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Hi Josh! No, I don’t mind at all. I’m flattered, really. What is your site? Thanks!

twistedsistersdesignposted January 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

It looks amazing :) Thanks for sharing! I will definitely try it out soon :)

therealbryon-(gaysexandthecity)posted January 5, 2012 at 9:14 am

awesome salad..will certainly try

auntiecarol69posted January 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

Looks like an unusual but very healthy salad. Both Kale and pomogranates are loaded with impressive antioxidants for good health and major disease prevention. Oh yes one more thing the combination to me seems like a tart, tasty combination

Tovaposted January 5, 2012 at 9:51 am

The recipe sounds wonderful. I’m putting kale, cabbage & pomegranates on my shopping list right now. I love it that you use pictures to share the recipe before you use words. Nice touch!

Kimposted January 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

Looks yummy!!!! I’m going to have to give this recipe a shot… Thanks for sharing!!!

Pamannerposted January 5, 2012 at 11:40 am

Love, love kale and this looks delish!

Editorposted January 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

What a beautiful looking salad – YUM!

alagarconniereposted January 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

i was in the middle of thinking “what should i have for dinner?” and then i see this. a big bunch of kale in my fridge is gettin’ eaten tonight! thanks for the inspiration!

35andupcynicismonholdposted January 5, 2012 at 12:11 pm

hello, there… wow, they look succulent. congrats on being FP, it’s deserved… :}

reicreatureposted January 5, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Wow, that looks gorgeous. I can’t wait to try this.

VictorsMovieReviewsposted January 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for sharing. I’m the chef in the house, love Kale, and I am starting to gain an appreciation of Pomegranate.

Patti, Reinventedposted January 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

What a wonderful way to get more greens into my diet! Your photos are beautiful and they make me want to run to my kitchen to create something wonderful. I’ve never had kale before; now I can’t wait for my Saturday morning farmer’s market! Congrats on being Freshly Pressed.

George Foremans grillposted January 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Tried this a few months back,with added quinoa. Well tasty.

fedandfitposted January 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

WOW! What a ride. Thanks to each of you who read, liked, commented, and subscribed to this blog! Your comments encourage, excite, and flatter me. I will not let you down! Exciting material to come. Many thanks to WordPress for choosing this post for Freshly Pressed – tremendous honor. Here’s to kale, the deliciously healthy, and happy living. Cheers!

Bethany Peguesposted January 5, 2012 at 2:41 pm

That looks awesome. It’s as beautiful as it is nutritious. I’m going to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe!

Lia Moutselouposted January 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

fantastic images ! and a great recipe. Thanks for this. I will try.

theevilbunnyposted January 5, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Made it for dinner tonight and it was absolutely yummy! Thanks for the great recipe.

• fedandfit replied: — January 6th, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for letting me know.

trialsinfoodposted January 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Looks delicious! Such a colorful dish! I’ve been craving a good salad since the holiday indulgence!

Luiseposted January 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

That just looks delicious! I never thought of eating kale uncooked. I will try this one soon!

jeremyrfranklinposted January 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Love! Can’t wait to try this…beautiful pics, too!

SusuBenposted January 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

This looks so yummy, I definitely am going to try this soon :D

ninjacollectiveposted January 9, 2012 at 4:13 pm

yummmmmmm

girasoleblogposted January 11, 2012 at 1:31 am

going to try this one for sure!
    thanks for this beautiful post!

artisanfoodsincposted January 17, 2012 at 1:01 am

Gorgeous colors, love it! ^.^~

incaunipocritposted January 21, 2012 at 6:55 am

Reblogged this on Basil Wheel.

jenshepsposted February 20, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Reblogged on TheGoodStuff411! Thanks this is a fantastic salad!

Kathleenposted November 27, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I want to make this for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Will it still be just as good if I make it today and let it sit in fridge overnight?

• fedandfit replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 1:29 pm