Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Zucchini
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your appetites.
I say, with a lot of confidence, that you will love this dish.
I’m constantly on the creative prowl for new and tasty ways to combine paleo-friendly ingredients in a way that makes people say: “Wow! This is good for me?”
My answer, typically, is: “Yes, at least a million times better than that pizza you thought about ordering.”
Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables to cook with. It’s SO versatile. I use it to make everything from zucchini noodles when I’m craving pasta to my morning egg frittatas when I want a full plate without over-doing my energy intake.
I decided to stuff my hollowed-out zucchini with shredded chicken (simple how-to directions below). You can use ground meat, if you like. I opted for the homemade shredded chicken because it’s healthy, fresh, and versatile. I like to make extra shredded chicken for use in salads later in the week.
I seasoned the shredded chicken with my go-to Mexican flare.
To bring the whole dish together and move it from an “Oooh” to an “AHHH!” … I added bacon.
That’s right. Wrap those stuffed zucchinis with a few pieces of bacon, bake, and let the flavors melt into each other; then BOOM, instant happy family.
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Zucchini45 minutes 2017-06-27T00:45:00+00:00 20 minutes 2017-06-27T00:20:00+00:00 3 servings adjust servings
- 3 Medium-Large Zucchini
- 1 lb Shredded Chicken
- 18 Slices Pre-cooked Bacon
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Tbl Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbl Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbl Onion Powder
- 1 Tbl Chili Powder
- 18 Toothpicks
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Zucchini
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Wash and cut your zucchini in half.
- With a spoon, carefully scrape out all the seeds and soft membrane of the zucchini.
- Stir your shredded chicken with the sea salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. It combines easier when it’s warm and a little moist.
- Spoon in about 1/3 cup shredded chicken into each hallowed-out zucchini half.
- Using the pre-cooked thin bacon (found in the breakfast meats section of the grocery store), wrap about 3 pieces of bacon around each zucchini half.
- Secure with a toothpick at the top.
- Separate the stuffed and wrapped zucchini evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Start checking on them at about 15 minutes to be sure the bacon doesn’t burn.
Simple How-To: Shredded Chicken
- Bring about 4 cups water + 1 Tbl sea salt to a low boil in in a medium sauce pan.
- Carefully add two chicken breasts (about 1 lb worth).
- On a low boil, cook for about 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from water and cut in half at the thickest part of the breast. If it is NOT pink, they’re done. If it is still pink, add back to the simmering water for a few minutes.
- With two forks, begin stabbing and shredding the chicken. Make sure you do this immediately. Hot chicken is MUCH easier to shred than room-temperature chicken.
- You can store it in a sealed container in the fridge for about 5 days
545 Calories; 30 g Fat; 35 g Protein 3 g Sugar
23 Responses to “Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Zucchini”
Pingback: MauiMeals: 3-17-2014 « MauiNice