Homemade Tzatziki

It’s Greek Week!

Well … maybe not officially, but it is in my book.

To start off the F&F Greek Week (now it’s official), I’m sharing a little recipe for one of my MOST favorite snack foods.

Ever been to a Greek restaurant and thought to yourself, “what on earth is this tasty white yogurt-ie sauce on my plate?! It’s wonderful and I can’t figure out what’s in it! Excuse me, waiter? May I have some more?”

Welp, I’m here to share: it’s called Tzatziki (pronounced za-ZEE-kee) and I figured out how to make it.

DSC_0219

Tzatziki is a traditional Greek side dish/sauce made with Greek yogurt (shocker) and cucumber. It acts as a wonderful cool sauce for grilled spiced meats, dressing for a hearty Greek salad, or as a dipper for veggies and naan/pita.

It can be made with fresh mint or dill, if you have some handy and want to experiment with different flavors. I left mine simple and drizzled the top with a nice EVOO – just a little kiss of extra flavor.

I like to serve Tzatziki with cucumber discs, carrots, celery, spoons, grilled whole-wheat naan bread, and any other tasty veggie I deem, “dip-able!”

DSC_0216

Although not paleo, this recipe definitely falls into the “clean foods” category.

This stuff makes me really really happy.

Enjoy.

DSC_0278

DSC_0154

DSC_0123

DSC_0134

DSC_0141

DSC_0173

DSC_0222

Homemade Tzatziki

Serves ~2 cups     adjust servings

Ingredients

• 500 grams Greek Yogurt (one full container … I opt for fat free Fage)
  • 1/2 Medium-Sized Cucumber (deseeded & finely chopped)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Minced Garlic (~ 4 large cloves worth)
  • 1 Lemon Juiced
  • 2 tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for garnish/drizzle)

Instructions

1. Pour the extra water off the top of the Greek yogurt. You want it to be as thick as possible. (Feel free to let the yogurt drain in a cheesecloth for a few hours for an extra thick texture).
  2. Press the deseeded and chopped cucumber in cheesecloth or paper towels to absorb as much moisture as possible. Press down and squeeze, don’t worry about bruising.
  3. Stir all the ingredients together.
  4. Drizzle with a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) to finish, if you so desire.
  5. Serve with any veggies or grilled flat bread.
  6. Enjoy!

by

DSC_0257

14 Responses to “Homemade Tzatziki”

Brendaposted February 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

Another great recipe Cassy! I am very into my greek yogurt lately. Keep ’em coming!

• #
      fedandfitposted February 19, 2013 at 11:59 am

Thanks, Brenda! Will do.

samanthaposted February 19, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Your Tzatziki looks amazing! Great pics, too! Can’t wait to test your recipe! 😀

• #
      fedandfitposted February 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thank, Samantha! I’d love to know what you think about how it comes out!

Jenposted October 13, 2014 at 1:03 am

I made this tonight and it was amazing!! Great flavor, wouldn’t change a thing. Which is saying a lot, because I make home cooked meals everyday and always have to tweak the recipe in some way. Thanks so much!

• #
      Cassyposted October 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Awesome, Jen! Thanks for the great feedback.

KCposted July 13, 2015 at 12:16 am

Can you freeze this for later use?

• #
      Kellyposted July 19, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Hi KC! You could try freezing it in ice cube trays for an easy use when you would like a little bit at a time. We don’t believe the texture will be quite the same, but it is worth a shot. If you do try it, let us know how it holds up!

Lorenposted July 14, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Can you freeze these little patties? Would you freeze them before or after you cook them?

• #
      Kellyposted July 19, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Hi Loren! You could try freezing it in ice cube trays for an easy use when you would like a little bit at a time. We don’t believe the texture will be quite the same, but it is worth a shot. There is no cooking involved in the recipe though.

1. Pingback: Opa! Let’s cook some Greek food | The Golden Limoncello