Hot Whiskey Apple Ciderjump to recipe
When the cold wintery air decides to come back to town, it will be time to snuggle up with a mug of something that will warm your fingers and tummy. I have an obsession with hot apple cider. I also consider myself somewhat of a whiskey girl. It was only a matter of time before the two found each other.
To me, apple cider tastes like Christmas and scarf weather. It’s spicy, sweet, and smells amazing.
Instead of the store bought apple cider, I put together a simple do-it-yourself recipe you can repeat at home. This way you can control how spicy and the amount of sugar added.
I recommend you make it in a crockpot because it will slowly make your home smell amazing. If you don’t have a crockpot, put one on your Christmas wish list ASAP. Make this recipe in a large saucepan or baking dish until Santa delivers.
The added (and optional) whiskey turns this childhood favorite into a seasonal adult cocktail … that I will probably sip in my fuzzy slippers while I watch one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time, Miracle on 34th Street.
Meet my nephew puppy, Eli! He's a 7 month old miniature schnauzer that gets to spend the holidays with us! Gus is convinced he and Eli are the same size.Print
Hot Whiskey Apple Cider
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12 hours
- Total Time: 12 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 5 cups
- 4 Small Green Apples (cut into quarters)
- 4 Small Red or Pink Apples (cut into quarters)
- 2 Lemons (cut in half)
- 5 Cinnamon Sticks (3”)
- 1 Tbl Ground Ginger
- 4 Whole Star Anise
- 1 Tbl Whole Cloves
- 5 Cups Water
- 2 Tbl Honey
- 5 Shots Whiskey
Put all the ingredients (except for the honey and whiskey) into a crockpot.
Although all the ingredients will fit perfectly in a 4-quart crockpot, feel free to use a larger one.
When you’re chopping the apples and lemons, don’t worry about cutting out seeds or stem – throw the whole thing in.
Cook on low heat for at least 12 hours. (I’ve kept mine on heat as long as 18 hours).
Pour the cooked mixture through a colander into a large bowl. Using a spatula, smash the apples and lemons to get all the juice out.
Strain again if needed.
Add the 2 Tbl of honey and stir.
Pour 1 cup of the cider into a mug and, if you so fancy, add a shot of whiskey.
Instant Pot Version:
- Add all ingredients except for honey and whiskey to Instant Pot.
- Secure lead and ensure valve is sealed, then cook on manual for 15 minutes.
- Perform a quick release of pressure.
- Pour the cooked mixture through a colander into a large bowl. Using a spatula, smash the apples and lemons to get all the juice out.
- Strain again if needed.
- Add the 2 Tbl of honey and stir.
- Pour 1 cup of the cider into a mug and, if you so fancy, add a shot of whiskey.