This simple homemade Italian vinaigrette makes for the yummiest salad dressing + marinade!
The Best Italian Dressing Recipe
We leaned on a few really simple, really delicious ingredients for this dressing, and let me tell you, it is *so* good. It’s got the acidic punch of red wine vinegar, the deep, rich flavor of high-quality extra-virgin olive oil, and the bold, herby flavor of Italian seasonings.
Toss this one with your favorite greens + veggies for a salad, or use it as a chicken or shrimp marinade — either way, it’ll be totally delicious!
Italian Dressing Recipe Ingredients
- Red Wine Vinegar – to start, you’ll need a ¼ cup of red wine vinegar.
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon of lemon juice helps add brightness and a little more acidity.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil – in addition to the red wine vinegar, you’ll also need a ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Spices + Seasonings – this Italian vinaigrette is all about the spices and seasonings! You’ll need 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt, 1 teaspoon of cracked black pepper, and, optionally + for a little kick, a pinch of red pepper flakes.
How to Make Italian Dressing
The list is short, y’all! Here’s how to bring this dressing together quick:
- Pour – add all of the ingredients into a bowl or jar.
- Shake/Whisk – if using a jar, secure the lid, and shake to combine. If using a bowl, whisk the ingredients together to combine!
How to Store Homemade Italian Dressing
We recommend storing your dressing in an airtight container or jar (a mason jar is perfect!). Because there isn’t anything especially fragile or perishable in it, this dressing will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
Why make homemade italian vinaigrette when there are so many options available for purchase?
Good question! There are several reasons we really love making our own dressing:
- It’s easy – making this dressing takes very little effort, y’all, and the return is so great.
- It’s cost efficient – store-bought dressing can be expensive, but making your own is actually super cost efficient. You probably have everything you need to make it in your pantry already!
- You have control over the ingredients – one of the best reasons to make your own dressing is to be able to control *exactly* what goes into it. Oftentimes, homemade dressings are loaded with unnecessary ingredients, but going homemade ensures that only the highest-quality, essential ingredients make it into the jar.
- It tastes way better – because you get to control the quality of the ingredients, the finished product is going to be *so* much tastier than its store-bought counterpart.
How does this Italian Salad Dressing Recipe compare to Olive Garden Italian Dressing?
Oh, the famous Olive Garden dressing! We think this Italian dressing is every bit as delicious, while also being full of good-for-you ingredients.
Is Italian vinaigrette healthy?
We think so! Loaded with healthy fats from olive oil and a few other simple ingredients, there’s no reason why this dressing can’t make an appearance on your salad plate over and over again!
What is the difference between Red or White Wine Vinegar?
The biggest difference between the two is that red wine vinegar is made from red wine and white wine vinegar is made with white wine. Red wine vinegar tends to have a more mild, deeper flavor than the punchy, stronger flavor of white wine vinegar.
Italian Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl or mason jar with lid and whisk or shake the jar to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.