Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet
This Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet is a one-pan dinner that is packed with delicious, robust flavor!
I have a new and growing love affair with skillet dinners. I just love the idea that you can take out a SINGLE skillet and, with a strategic cooking sequence, have a fabulous complete dinner. My semi-obsession with single-pan/pot/skillet dinners stems from two places …first, because I'll do just about anything to avoid washing dishes and second, because my mom loves to tease me for constantly using more dishes than necessary. When I was learning to cook, I would get out a separate bowl, pot, cutting board, and knife for just about every single thing I prepared. At the end of even the most basic meal prep, I'd have a kitchen FULL of dirty dishes. The polite teasing inspired a contest I have with myself: how to be more minimalistic with my dishes. I feel pretty pro-level with cutting board and mixing bowl usage and keep getting better at my minimal cooking tool use (pots, pans, etc.).
This Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet is a new breakthrough in my minimal equipment venture because it has RICE! You see, I live in a very carb-friendly house. A one-skillet dinner that doesn't call for a cooked starch is easy (think: Asian stir-fry). But what if you want to add a carb? That's where things get tricky, but we cracked the code with this dinner.
The process is simple to make this stunning dinner. You start off by pan-searing the chicken breast on each side until they're nicely golden. Remove the chicken from the pan and then add in your dry rice. Though totally optional, I recommend toasting the rice in the pan a bit before you add broth. It will help deepen the flavors even more. THEN, stir in broth and some fresh herbs to cook the rice. Bring it to a boil, cook for about 10 minutes, then return the chicken and add some fresh lemon. Let the flavors come together and you have yourself one dang fancy, tasty, easy dinner! BEST OF ALL, you only have one pan to wash.
PS. If you're wondering WHY white rice instead of brown, check out my very geeky podcast episode on the topic HERE!Print
Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup white rice (I used Basmati)
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Additional fresh chopped thyme, for garnish
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides.
- Melt butter (or olive oil) in a skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, add the chicken. Sear for 3-4 minutes per side, until browned.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Add the rice to the skillet over medium-high heat and stir. Cook 1-2 minutes until toasted. It will give off a slightly nutty aroma at this point.
- Add the broth to the pan with the rice and whisk to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once rice is boiling, give it a final stir, add the thyme sprigs, and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes has passed, remove the lid from the pot and stir the lemon juice into the rice, then place chicken breasts and lemon slices on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, then remove from heat, let cool slightly, garnish with extra thyme, and serve!
If you have large chicken breasts (more than 1-inch thick) slice them in half before searing.