Loaded Smashed Potatoesjump to recipe
These Loaded Smashed Potatoes are like a cheater version of potato skins! They're incredibly delicious, easy, and a fun side to serve up at your next gathering!
Let's bake some potatoes, smash them, and then top them with cheese, bacon, and fresh onion. You with me?
I feel like I need a new category for recipes here on the site that are more “cravings” than thoughtful, nutrient-dense kitchen creations (this amazingly delicious + nutritious four greens soup comes to mind as one example). This recipe was born from a craving for loaded potato skins (to be honest) but also from my desire to be as lazy as possible in the kitchen. Potato skins are wonderful, but they require some work! You have to cut, scoop, and re-arrange on a baking sheet, and THEN bake. These Loaded Smashed Potatoes are much less fussy.
Here's the process: clean some gold petite potatoes and roll them out on a baking sheet. Bake them until they're easily pierced with a fork. Pull them from the oven and place a piece of parchment paper on the top of the whole pan. Place ANOTHER pan on top of that (and maybe a towel, if it's hot) and then PRESS. Press down hard so that each potato gets smashed into about 1/2 to 1-inch thick patties. Pull the paper off and marvel at your giant potato cake! Drizzle the top with some melted butter, salt, pepper, and then add toppings that make your heart sing. I opted for cheese and bacon! The pan heads back into the oven so that the cheese can melt.
I think these potatoes would be a fun dish to serve up whenever you grill sausages or just for a fun dish at a sportsball party! Maybe next to a bowl of chili? Yum.Print
Loaded Smashed Potatoes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1, 12 ounce pack bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup mild cheddar
- Thinly sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Preheat to 375 F.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over the potatoes, then place a similarly-sized sheet pan on top of the paper and press down to smash.
- Drizzle potatoes with melted butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with cheddar and bacon, and return to the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion and sour cream, if desired, and serve!