Paleo Cheeseburger Casserolejump to recipe
This Paleo Cheeseburger Casserole is an epically delicious, healthy meal the whole family will love! It's made with a layer of crispy hash browns, seasoned burger, a dairy-free cheese sauce, and fresh toppings.
When I was pregnant, I had a few friends tell us that we needed to watched as much television as possible because there would “be no time for that when baby arrives!” I'll admit that, while I do enjoy slowly chipping away at a series after dinner with my hubby, I'm not that big of a TV-watcher. I'm more of an audiobook/podcast gal because I can listen while also grocery shopping, cleaning, doing yard work, etc. So I mostly ignored the watch-all-the-TV advice and used our pre-baby time to keep working on my business. Flash forward to her arrival and I'm now SO GLAD I didn't pre-watch everything of interest. Now, maybe our experience is a unique one, but good golly …I haven't ever had so much time in front of the TV IN MY LIFE! There isn't much else I can do while nursing this sweet little cluster feeder of mine, so I've been devouring Netflix between phone calls to friends and family members. Though we're becoming more and more mobile by the day (as I get the hang of baby-wearing), we still have a fair amount of couch time. ALL THIS brings me to my question! As I chip away at shows, I'd love to know what you're watching and loving. I'm currently swimming in the DEEP pool of Gray's Anatomy episodes, but would love to mix it up a bit. I love a good range of genres from comedies, to documentaries, crime dramas, etc. Some of my favorite shoes in the past have been Jane the Virgin, Peaky Blinders, Black List, New Girl, OITNB, House of Cards, Gilmore Girls, etc. …just to give you an idea of what I've watched!
Ok, now let's talk Paleo Cheeseburger Casserole! It's no secret that I LOVE BURGERS. A giant burger with french fries was my first meal after Gray's delivery and I crave one at least once a week. While I prefer my burger bun-less (lettuce-wrapped, instead), I do still like all the fixings. This casserole is fashioned after my favorite meal …made even more epic by a Paleo-friendly “cheese.” The casserole starts off with a crispy layer of hash browns (to replace the fries), a layer of seasoned “burger,” and a layer of (really easy) Paleo cheese. All you need to do is assemble, bake so that the flavors come together a bit, and top with your favorite fresh bonus fixings. Spoon up your servings and enjoy!
Here's the recipe video with step-by-step instruction, enjoy!
NOTE: this Paleo Cheeseburger Casserole freezes really well if you're looking to bulk up your freezer meals!Print
Paleo Cheeseburger Casserole
This Paleo cheeseburger casserole has all the classic elements of a burger and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
For the Casserole:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, or other fat of choice, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 20 ounce package frozen hashbrowns or 5 cups shredded potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, or Paleo nacho cheese for dairy-free
For the Topping:
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a 13-inch cast iron pan, or 9×13 inch oven-safe pan, heat the oil over medium heat, add the diced onions and garlic and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until onion is translucent. Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper, and cook 7-8 minutes until ground beef is browned and fully cooked. Remove from pan.
- Add the 3 tablespoons oil to the pan, then add hash browns. Cook 5 to 6 minutes, then flip, and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and cooked through. Place the ground beef and onion mixture on top of the hash browns, then pour on the nacho cheese.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. While casserole is baking, prepare the toppings.
- Once casserole has finished baking, garnish with the lettuce, bacon, tomato, avocado, and jalapeno and serve!