Pot Roast Pasta with Green Magic Saucejump to recipe
This crowd-pleasing pot roast pasta calls for a simple garlic pot roast, gluten-free pasta, caramelized pearl onions, and the most decadent goat cheese and cilantro cream sauce.
This decadent pot roast pasta with green magic sauce isn't your every night meal. It's a special occasion meal, to be made and enjoyed when you really want to put a plate on the table that says: I made this with love and LOTS OF IT! Inspired by one of my most favorite meals in a restaurant, this pot roast pasta relies on my new recipe for an Instant Pot Pot Roast, a bed of your favorite gluten-free noodles (feel free to substitute mashed potatoes or rice), some roasted pearl onions + garlic, and the most amazing sauce I've ever tasted. This dish is nothing short of magic. It's unique, filling, and sure to make for happy kitchen customers.
While the roast and pasta are pretty simple on their own, the other two components (roasted onions + magic sauce) aren't very complicated either. Pearl onions are tossed with cloves from an entire head of garlic in some high quality olive oil. Once sprinkled with salt, they head to the oven and emerge about 45 minutes later as caramelized flavor bombs.
The green magic sauce ….is everything. It's also extremely decadent. Making strategic use of butter, heavy cream, and goat cheese, this sauce will earn you a reputation as one DANG GOOD COOK. The sauce and pasta are the reasons why I like to issue a “enjoy moderately” disclaimer with this recipe. The pasta and the sauce are ALSO the reasons why I'll be returning to this recipe for every home-celebrated special occasion from here out!
The sauce starts off by melting butter and the goat cheese together in a skillet. Heavy cream is whisked in and set to simmer. Meanwhile, blend together 1 (or 2 …or 3) deseeded jalapenos, an entire head of cilantro (leaves and stems), and 2 limes worth of juice. Blend WELL, until it is entirely smooth and bright, bright green. Pour this freshness in with the simmering pot of cream, whisk to combine, and then season. VOILA …you've just made magic sauce.
Note: if you do not tolerate dairy, you can try substituting full-fat coconut milk for the cream and coconut butter for the goat cheese. Though I haven't tried the modification myself, that's where I'd first start.
To serve this pot roast pasta with green magic sauce, simply plate as one entire batch or serve it up in individual bowls. I recommend layering first with the pasta, then slightly shredded pot roast, then roasted onions/garlic, a generous drizzle of the green magic sauce, a sprinkle of fresh pepper, and fresh sprig of cilantro to finish.Print
Pot Roast Pasta with Green Magic Sauce
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings 1x
- 1 batch of Instant Pot Pot Roast, slightly shredded
- 1 pound frozen pearl onions (I found mine at Trader Joe's)
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti or other pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, deseeded
- 1 head fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided, or to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Prepare the Instant Pot Pot Roast and set aside.
- Toss the onions and peeled garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons olive oil then spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with half of the sea salt and bake at 375 F for 45 minutes, or until they start to brown on top. Remove from oven and set aside once finished.
- For the pasta, follow the directions on the packaging to cook. Once cooked, toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet with the goat cheese and heavy cream. Whisk to combine and bring to a simmer. In a small blender, blend the jalapenos, cilantro, and lime juice together until smooth (at least 1 full minute). Pour the cilantro mixture into the pan and whisk to combine. Add the 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, stir, and taste. Add more salt and pepper as you like.
- To plate, layer first with the pasta, then the pot roast, then roasted onions/garlic, a generous drizzle of the green magic sauce, a sprinkle of fresh pepper, and fresh sprig of cilantro to finish.