Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast
This is one of those recipe ideas that, when it worked (and worked WELL) I had an extra skip in my step because I LOVE LOVE french onion anything! Funny enough, I'm still not a big fan of raw onion. My hubby, on the opposite end of the spectrum, is one of those that will happily chow down on raw onion with any meal. Me? I'd prefer no onion over raw onion. That being said, I DO love pickled onion and (of course) caramelized onion. French onion soup is essentially caramelized onion soup. A bucket-load of onions are chopped up, husband's hands are swatted away, and they get cooked until totally broken down in to delicious perfection. Caramelizing onions usually takes a LONG time on the stove of stirring, walking away, adding more butter, and stirring some more. With the Instant Pot, we get to load the insert up and walk away!
Okay, now let's talk pot roast. I also LOVE a good pot roast (especially a tender grass-fed one from ButcherBox). I like mine to be flaky and easy to eat with just a fork, which is why my Instant Pot recipe calls for a good 90 minutes under pressure. You're welcome to cook it with less time if you prefer a less flaky finish.
Pot roast goodness meets french onion goodness in this hands-off meal! Just brown up your chosen (and seasoned) beef, toss in the (looks like overkill, but it's not) onions, set it and forget it. I love this Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast served over mashed potatoes, but it would also be delicious over some parsnip mash, rice, or even cauliflower mash!
Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast
This easy Instant Pot French Onion Pot Roast combines all of the flavors of French onion soup with roast beef, and is plated up with mashed potatoes for the perfect comforting meal!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- 1, 5 pound beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, skins removed
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ghee, or other fat of choice
- Cut the chuck roast into 4-5 equal pieces and season liberally with salt and pepper. Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add the ghee. Once ghee is melted, add the roast to the pot and sear 5-6 minutes per side, until browned, working in batches.
- Set the browned roast aside and add the broth to pot, scraping up the browned bits from the roast. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and set the beef on top.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, ensuring it is locked and the valve is sealed. Press the “manual” button and set to cook for 90 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally, for at least 15 minutes before releasing the pressure valve and removing the lid. Once the pressure has released, remove the beef from the pot and set it back to sauté mode again. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until broth has thickened and onions are fully cooked down.
- Shred the beef, serve over mashed potatoes, and top with the caramelized onions and gravy.
To make in a slow cooker:
- Place ghee in a large pot and melt over medium-high heat. Season the whole chuck roast liberally with salt and pepper and sear 5-7 minutes per side.
- Add the broth, onions, and garlic to a slow cooker and place the roast on top. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, until meat shreds apart easily with a fork.
- Transfer onions and broth back to a stove top pot to reduce the broth and caramelize the onions over medium-high heat for 7-10 minutes, if desired.