Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
Made with just 3 super simple ingredients, this glittery snow dough is so easy to make and will keep kiddos entertained for hours!
Crafting with your favorite kiddos (your own children, nieces, nephews, students, etc.) can be really easy and fun! It doesn’t actually have to take hours of prep on your end (I know – amazing, right?) and can absolutely be something that kiddos can take part in. This glittery dough is bright white so it actually resembles SNOW! If you’re a Texan (hello, it’s me!), this very well could be your one chance to make a snowman this year!
This craft is brought to you in *very* proud partnership with our very favorite safer cleaning company, Branch Basics. Get crafty with your favorite kiddos and then let them in on the safer clean-up!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Snow Playdough
Three super simple ingredients (two of which I bet you have hanging out at home already) are all that stand between you and sparkly snow dough! Here’s the list:
- Flour or cornstarch – to start, you’ll need 4 cups of either all-purpose flour or cornstarch. While both work great, we opted for cornstarch here because it made the dough a brighter white color.
- Oil – you’ll also need 1 cup of oil! Most oils should work great here, but because we were aiming for a bright white snow color, we stuck with baby oil. Feel free to use another light-colored oil if you’d like, though!
- Glitter – GLITTER! Pour that glitter until your heart is happy. No amount is too small or too great. We opted for a “crystal” colored glitter (translucent), but any white glitter would work also. If you’re weary of glitter, I totally get it. Feel free to omit the glitter altogether if that’ll make the process more enjoyable for you!
Supplies Needed for this Homemade Craft
- Large Bowl
- Silicone Spatula
- Snowman Accessories (optional): orange pipe cleaners, buttons, googly eyes, etc.
- Cookie Cutters (optional)
How to Make Snow Playdough at Home
The process is incredibly easy, y’all. In fact, this is something that your kiddos can actually *help* you make (rather than you have prepped ahead of time). Here’s the full how-to:
- Add the cornstarch/flour to a large bowl – to start, add the cornstarch (or flour) to a large bowl.
- Dump in the glitter – add the glitter (as much or as little as you want) to the bowl.
- Add the oil – lastly, add the baby oil (or your preferred light-colored/colorless oil) to the bowl with the cornstarch/flour and glitter.
- Mix together – using either a silicone spatula or your hands (I actually found that my hands worked best), mix together the cornstarch/flour, glitter, and oil until a dough forms.
- Adjust, if needed – if your dough feels super dry and crumbly, add a little bit more oil. If the dough feels too moist, add more cornstarch/flour.
- Play! While actually making the dough is really fun, this is where the REAL fun comes in. Let your kiddos get really creative here!
Ways to Play with Snow Dough
There are SO MANY ways to incorporate imaginative play here. A few of my very favorites:
- Make snowmen: this feels like the most obvious option, right?! Build snowmen with your dough, then use orange pipe cleaners, googly eyes, and buttons as accessories.
- Make cut-outs: use holiday cookie cutters to cut snow dough shapes of Santa, candy canes, mittens, Christmas trees, and more!
- Imaginative play: one of the most amazing things about being around kids (whether you’re a parent, family member, babysitter, etc.) is seeing the imaginative play that can come out of something like snow dough. Let your kiddos make up their own games with the dough and see what they come up with!
Cleaning Up the Mess
Let’s not avoid talking about one of the very obvious results of creating (and then playing with) something like snow dough: the dreaded mess. Just as any really good, fun play is, snow dough can be pretty messy. Here’s the good news, though: CLEAN UP can be easy (and safe) too. We used Branch Basics concentrate + water to make their all-purpose cleaner, and it cleaned up all the woes of snow dough like a CHAMP! The best part? Because of the natural formulations of Branch Basics products, you can totally get your kiddos in on the clean-up action too!
If you’re interested in integrating safer cleaning practices into your home, use code FEDANDFIT for 15% off of a Branch Basics Starter Kit.
For the dough:
- Large Bowl
- Silicone Spatula
- Snowman Accessories optional: orange pipe cleaners, buttons, googly eyes, etc.
- Cookie Cutters optional
- To start, add the cornstarch (or flour) to a large bowl.
- Add the glitter (as much or as little as you want) to the bowl, followed by the baby oil (or your preferred light-colored/colorless oil).
- Using either a silicone spatula or your hands (I actually found that my hands worked best), mix together the cornstarch/flour, glitter, and oil until a dough forms.
- If your dough feels super dry and crumbly, add a little bit more oil. If the dough feels too moist, add more cornstarch/flour.
Leave a Reply