Every item on this page was chosen by The Fed & Fit team. The site may earn a commission on some products (read more here).
Turkey chili – the healthy comfort food. This is a dish that I will cook up in huge proportions on a Sunday because the leftovers throughout the week give me something to look forward to. It’s delicious, simple, and great for you.
Chili reminds me of home cooking with mom. The memories start with the smell of browning onions and garlic wafting through the house.
A big bowl of steaming hot chili, topped with almost too many pickled jalapenos, is a sure way to make me happy.
I hope you enjoy.
- 1 lb ground turkey meat I use 85% lean thigh meat
- 2 medium sized tomatoes diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup white onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water or low sodium chicken stock
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a medium sized pot, start heat the olive oil.
- When the olive oil starts running thinly on the bottom of the pan, add the onions.
- Cook the onions, stirring regularly, until they’re transparent and slightly browned.
- Add the garlic and stir until slightly browned but not over cooked.
- Add the turkey meat.
- Chop the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks in the pan to help break it up.
- Cook the meat until it is no longer pink and starting to brown.
- Add the cumin, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes. (You can used canned tomatoes here if you prefer – buy the “crushed” kind.)
- Stir until the tomatoes are broken and cooked into the meat.
- Add the chicken stock or water and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, spoon into large bowl, top with cilantro (and pickled jalapenos if you dare) and serve!
i found your recipe a few weeks ago and it has become a regular meal for me and my husband. When I first made it, I didn’t have fresh tomatoes on hand, so I used a can of fire roasted tomatoes, which we have been doing since. We love the level of heat, because it’s just right. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
Cassy – I absolutely love this recipe! My boyfriend and I made it this past weekend for the first time, and the results were incredible! We added kidney beans to the recipe, too. We appreciated that it was a hearty meal, but still guilt-free. He has already made a second batch to eat throughout the week!